Here's a poser! Kitchen cupboard backs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone tell me how to get a kitchen cupboard back, you know, that thin bendy material, back into its grooves when some object has pushed it out? I can't get behind the cupboard because it's against the wall. The material is too thin to drill. Any geniuses out there who know the answer?

Sponsored Links
drill a 3mm hole in the area concerned take a no10 or metric 5mm x2"/50mm screw'screw in a few threads and try pulling back into position
if that fails tie some string/wire centraly onto a 2" nail or screw [enlarge hole if nessisery] push the nail fully through to form a "T" to catch on the back

if that fails cut finger holes and manoover

when finnished or you cant get the back into position buy some white faced harboard/mdf[around 4mm thick]cut to size stick into position ontop off the origional back with white no nails like sticks like sh*t

finnish with a bead off silicone around the edge

be very wary off pipes and wires when you drill holes by drilling the holes on minimum speed [50 to100 revs per min]this will reduce the chance off dammage to minimum
also use a hand screwdriver to turn the screws ;)

hmmmm ... ingenious, woody. Where can I get suction glass holders? I'd need more than one to realign the whole cupboard back.

big-all, I'm thinking about your suggestions, and thank you, but please remember I am a woman and don't have your confidence, experience, and testosterone, no matter how delicate the drilling. The backing sheet is very thin and bent out of shape. I don't trust myself with a drill to achieve the desired effect.

Why on EARTH are the cupboard backs so flimsy, why are the grooves so shallow, why aren't there already finger-holes in them, etc, etc???? This must be a maddening problem to many many people.

Sponsored Links
Aren't the backs fixed to the other panels with pin nails? When I last assembled something (a wardrobe?) I nailed the back following the instructions. If this is the case with your cabinet, the glass-suction tool wouldn't do the job.

Base unit backs sit in a groove forward from the rear of the unit, so that pipes are hidden behind the back

Not like wardrobes

Thinking outside the box.

Take off kick panel
Empty cupboard
Take off door/remove drawer
Remove all fixings into worktop and into/from adjacent cupboards
Screw up legs (i.e. lower cupboard away from worktop.
Slide cupboard out

Refit back

Reverse process.

Took me an hour on one of ours a few years ago.

Won't work if it has not got legs.

"Why on EARTH are the cupboard backs so flimsy, why are the grooves so shallow, why aren't there already finger-holes in them, etc, etc???? This must be a maddening problem to many many people."

Buy solid wood? and not generic MFI crap?

I've seen lots of kitchen units with a strip of solid wood attached behind the flexible board at the back to retain it.

I think you're fighting a losing battle with this one, Matahari. It would probably be easier to smash the old back up, screw some beading around the inside of the cabinet and put in a new panel of something more substantial.
All of these cabinet backs seem to be made of 4mm (if that) faced chipboard of the vilest stamp. Just what you want under a sink. Even if you could get it back in place it would still be vulnerable.
All the old base units in my kitchen had the backs kicked in so when I replaced them I took the trouble to brace behind the new ones across the middle and the bottom. So far so good...

Ah well, I think I will just have to live with it. The kitchen was built for me as a result of an insurance claim for flooding, so I was only given a limited choice. Beggars can't be choosers, they say.

The kitchen was built for me as a result of an insurance claim for flooding, so I was only given a limited choice. Beggars can't be choosers, they say.

Too late for you, but for anyone else in a similar situation with insurers ... demand replacements of at least as good as the old ones or to typical current standards if that is better.

You don't have to accept what is offered, and don't be limited to a few types which they want to you have.

They will try and beat you down with cheap replacements to minimise what they pay out - don't accept it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back