Herringbone border

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you lay herringbone floors with a border..... do u install the border first then tile up to it, or is it best to run the herringbone uo to the edges of the room, cut them all back using a straight edge and then fit border.... I've seen both methods, just wondering which is best. If it makes a difference, the skirting boards aren't fitted yet and are going on after the flooring.

Sponsored Links
The way that I have seen it done is the border last.
Obviously, the border margin is drawn first, then herringbone pattern laid to overlap the margin.
cut the overlaid herringbone and add the border.

I would imagine that border first is more time consuming.
Possibly more wasteful as well?

It is going to be faster and easier for you to install the herringbone first then trim back with a saw and a guide.

Ideal job for a plunge saw and guide rail IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
It's LVT flooring and I'm using F Ball 46 PS adhesive.... so I'm thinking a long straight edge and Stanley knife will do the trick cutting back for the border.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, assumed (incorrectly) that it was probably laminate or engineered flooring :oops: . For LVT straight edge and utility knife fulfill the same function, as you surmise

if skirts off I’d go middle 1st and and border last. If skirts on it all depends what room. A lounge middle 1st and a hall I like border 1st in most cases

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back