Hesitating acceleration when cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on replacing my car in the next fe months but my current car ('96 Renault Megane) has developed a problem. I need the car to last a while longer but don't really see the point in paying to have it fixed. Hopefully one of you guys may know what is causing the problem and if it's really simple/cheap to sort out then i may do it.

The problem is that when cold, the car has very little power. It may take a couple of goes to start but idles erratically and seems on the point of stalling unless it is given some revs. When pulling away or accelerating, nothing seems to happen for about 3-4 seconds and then the power comes back and the car lurches forward. This happens even with my foot completely flat down on the accelerator.

The strange thing is that this gradually seems to get better and after 5-10 minutes the car seems normal. Obviously the is going to cause problems if I decide to sell or trade the car.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
sender / sensor same thing :LOL:
I know what i mean !

When you ask the dealer for it tell them it's the one that controls the ECU fuelling not the one that does the temperature guage in the car

Thanks guys. Had a quick flick through the Haynes manual. Looks pretty simple but is there anything I should be looking out for? Also any idea of roughly how much a replacment sensor may cost?

Back