HHHHEEEELLLPPPP Low pressure from hot water & girgling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi 2 all

I have been having problems for some time with the hot water tap in the bathroom, it comes out quick for a second or 2 & then slows down to a trickle & takes 5-10 mins to fill it up.

We have read a few posts around & they say to turn on all of the taps for 3 mins to flush any air through the system..! This is when we realised it wasn't just to do with the upstairs bathroom. We turned on all of the taps & the downstairs taps started to girgle....it would come out quick for a few seconds girgle & then trickle out & this was at regular intervals..Also noticed if we turned on the downstairs kitchen tap & the downstairs toilet tap one would turn off & we cannot have them both on at the same time...

if the bath is running & someone downstairs turns on the tap the upstairs tap stops working...???

Could it be an air block or pressure & how do I check.???

Its not a combi boiler.

I am willing to get me hands dirty before calling out a plumber.

Thank you all for your time.

Sponsored Links
Have you a mixer tap, if so open hot tap fully and if you can open the cold and keep it from coming out the tap. It will travel up the hot tap and hopefully clear airlocks . It is better if you can just get a hose onto a hot tap from the mains and force it up and over the expansion .

Thanks bobbo for the quick reply...

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen....????

So if I put a hose from the cold tap to the hot tap that will push the air block back up & how will I know if it clears...???

Does it sound like an air block ????

Thanks once again for the quick reply

Sounds like an airlock,whats caused it who knows

Kitchen mixer....put palm of hand over tap outlet,open hot tap,slowly open cold tap,not too much as pressure will force water past your hand

If its air ,the pressure of the cold will force the air out of the vent pipe thats goes over the top of your loft tank

You probably will hear gurgling etc

You can open each hot in turn and do the procedure to clear each pipe run if needed...a spare person would be handy

Dont turn the cold on too far as it will spray everywhere,can be hard to hold hand over tap as it is :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

If it's not an air lock.

It could be a blockage in the hot feed. Furred up around the hot output from the hot water cylinder is a possible cause.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Tincup for the reply...!

If it is that how do I go about fixing it ??? Is there something I can buy to clear my pipes without paying for an expensive plumber to come out..!

I tried to cover my hand over the mixer tap & turn on the taps slowly, And yes I did get wet & no it did not work....I tried also a pipe from the cold tap to the hot tap BUT this didn't work either BUT I didn't get a solid fix as water was spraying out of the cold tap...So maybe I need to get a better fitting piece of pipe....?

Thank you all for your help & I will try anything to sort this out.

All the best & thanks once again....

Hi

You should satisfy yourself it is not air first.
And check the gate valve is open almost fully from the header tank.
Make sure nothing as fallen into the water tank and is blocking the feed to the tank.
After you've done this a plumber will be better equiped to drain down and investigate further.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back