Hi again all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy new year and all to every one.

Just watching this post on the old you tube.

Am I blind, or did he pre cut to 'line' and installed it anyway?

Dan.

Sponsored Links
What I looked at was the "De-neutralise the black" I would have always used black as neutral when no blue available. But also the very loose sleeves, OK with his demo where the ceiling rose is upside down to normal, but in real life that sleeving is waiting to fall off.

As to if the connector block would fit in the shallow back box not sure.

I use to use boot lace ferrules when using cable numbers to ensure the numbers did not fall off. But not keen on the idea with solid core cable. Think at least have longer over sleeve, but that sleeving could have gone over 6 mm cable never mind 1 mm.

I noted three core and earth also used for switch to ceiling rose when mothers house rewired but not stripped folded over and simple bit of insulation tape over ends. As it could be used for either two way switching or neutral.

I use to use boot lace ferrules when using cable numbers to ensure the numbers did not fall off. But not keen on the idea with solid core cable.
I find it so much easier to use the correct size numbers, then it doesn't matter if there's no ferrule.

What I looked at was the "De-neutralise the black" I would have always used black as neutral when no blue available.
Initially I did too and I still see it installed that way, however I now go for grey for the simple reason that where an old cable is extended with harmonised colours it would mean joining: red/brown, yellow/grey & blue/black as opposed to a 3ph (Or intuitively for 2way strappers) of: red/brown, yellow/black & blue/grey.

I hate to admit that repurposing an extended 3ph circuit for 1ph I did the usual LNE of red, blue, yellow at one end and brown, black, grey the other end which of course resulted with LNE=LEN. Fortunately I did of course do dead testing first which did find it before it caused any problem. But we all know the average DIYer would not use the same sequence of events.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back