Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

The bathroom in virtually complete now.

Just been waiting on some made to measure worktops which are due on Tuesday (14/06), unfortunately I'm due to leave for work on Wednesday so can't complete it until after 26/06.

However, I've fitted all the plinths and bath panel is ready to fit, electrician is coming tomorrow to fit the lighting to those & hopefully completing the lighting in the rear extension.

I've fitted the mirror/cupboard and the trim around the bathroom window.

All I need to do in there is get the worktops fitted, sink/plumbing fitted, run the shower to test it.
Thorough clean and finish off the sealing of the bath and tile edges around the floor.

Sponsored Links
What a great job you have done!! It looks fantastic coming from a "newbie" like me, haha. great work to all who worked on it ;)

Time for an update :)

So this week I have been dodging the showers and struggling with what to do next as working on my own theres so much to do and so little talent :mrgreen: to do it all...

So, I really needed to get stuck into tiling the patio area as I'd like to try to finish the garden off as soon as possible, realistically all I am thinking of doing is tiling and laying the grids and artificial grass than all that remains out there is furniture and a bit of tidying up etc.

So I was struggling to get much done between the showers and had to wait for the base to be dry before continuing tiling so as of today I am just a little under half way complete...

Whilst pondering my next move and between rubbing down skirting and glossing, I battened out above the fire door and fitted more plasterboard. That wall is complete and you may notice the slight gap to the top, this is to allow for a second lot of boarding as per fire rags.

I did however continue with a bit more boarding to the ceiling but I can't go to far with it until the bathroom is totally complete so we can check all the pipework for leaks etc.

Sponsored Links
After weeks of searching for a worktop I like and 4 weeks from order to delivery I lay it on top of the sink base unit for size and was quite happy with the result.

The biggest issue for me was fitting the semi-recessed sink into it as it was so expensive for such a small length of solid surface worktop so thought I would leave it to the professionals and had a couple of recommendations, both of whom were committed with work and could give no dates for a minimum of 3 weeks.

As always my time is very limited which is Never a good thing and thought such a simple job could be fitted in around their work, it is only a couple of hours for a competent fitter is it not!!!, :mrgreen: I know, I know maybe more and I would never expect anyone to 'fit me in'

So having looked on here, and a popular video channel, with good advice from fellow members I set about researching the tools for the job and popped along to my local tool shop

So, with what i thought were the right tools, I set out taking my time and marked out according to the instructions and templates provided with the sink

First cuts were made with the jig saw 1/8th inch inside the template lines

Last edited:
Once that was cut out...

I got to work with the router, never in my life used one before so had to try to remember what I had seen and read

I did the 2 sides first, then the back

I then had to try the sink out and it fitted fine

Then as per the instructions I had to make notches, the width of the sink, some for the overhang and also use the plinth template to cut out for the sink to sit into

Last edited:
Finished result

Not a bad job, I'm positive a professional fitter would have been better and quicker but maybe not as cheap as the price of the tools which I now own, along with the rest I have bought since I started this project !!! :)

Last edited:
Next on the agenda..

Plumber to connect up the sink and finally test all the plumbing and that will be the bathroom virtually complete but for the plinth lights.
WE can then start to knock through to connect the upstairs of the new extension to the existing part of the house.

Finish off the patio.

Get the electrician to finish off the lights in the rear extension and ill touch up the paintwork which will complete the rear extension.

Of all the things you have done, I'd have thought connecting up some plumbing would be easiest! Why bother with a costly plumber for such easy stuff?

Of all the things you have done, I'd have thought connecting up some plumbing would be easiest! Why bother with a costly plumber for such easy stuff?

Composing a symphony is easy
Flying a fighter jet is easy

When you know how!!

Who said my plumber was expensive? I've used him for years and sometimes it's better the devil you know ;)

As I've said previously in this thread there are 2 things I don't do,

Integral plumbing & electrics :)

I'll leave that to the professionals and both whom I've been using for years.

Maybe one day I'll have a go but for now, I already have too much to do.

I'm fully with you on the plumbing and electrical side of things. Even thought I can comfortably do basic plumbing and know enough about electrics to get by, I almost always left those jobs to the qualified guys because I always felt that even the slightest mistake there could cause a huge bill (or worse) somewhere down the line.

Just been looking through your thread and it's all looking good - you should be pleased with the outcome. When you sit back at the end of it all, you can say, 'I did that'. (Except for the plumbing and electrics! :p)

almost always left those jobs to the qualified guys because I always felt that even the slightest mistake there could cause a huge bill (or worse) somewhere down the line.

This is exactly my thinking misterhelpful :) couldn't have put it better myself.

One day I may have a read up and try small things but for now, the majority of the plumbing and electrics are done & im paid up to date with both professions, so I'm happy to get them to finish off their work over the coming months as I progress.

Starting on the 19/07 the bathroom should be fully up & running & I'll be in a position to 'knock through'

I'll post some better photos of why I've basically had to complete the extension with no access into apart from leaving a floor board up in the front bedroom and climbing up into it via a ladder.

For now, I'm back in Asia working :)

This week I had a few things planned but had commitments that set me back a little.

My main step was to take some of the wall out between the existing bathroom to allow access to fit the final lintel.

This photo is the reason why there is no direct access in the new extension....

The toilet sits against the wall we need to knock through, hence the reason to complete the new bathroom ready to use before we break thorough in its entirety

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back