Hi and my new electric shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all and 'top forum this one'. I am usually on a Saab forum telling people how to remove gearbox's ect :eek:

Right then my first post.
I am fitting a 7kw Triton Alicante electric shower. The unit is plumbed in with an isolating tap ect.
I have used appropriate cable which cost me the earth. I have also got the 45amp pull cord switch.

Now my consumer unit has RCD protection so is this ok for the shower?
How do I find out what sought of 45amp breaker I need ie make or model or do they all fit?
Or should I pull a breaker and put it on the counter of the local wholesaler.
I have done this before but many years ago. I fitted and wired up a Mira sport shower. The consumer unit was weird and the breaker had to be ordered in.

thanks and here's hoping

Pipe cutter :)

Sponsored Links
rcd protection is ideal for a shower, and so is your way of thinking, plonk it on the counter

Just a suggestion, but have you considered a more powerful shower? A 7 kW might be a bit disappointing on a cold winter's day.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Match the mcb to the unit.

What brand is the unit?

thats why i said taking the mcb to wholesalers and to "plonk it on the counter" is a good idea

pipe cutter said:
I have used appropriate cable which cost me the earth.
You shouldn't have paid that - you need the earth, it is very important for safety reasons...
rofl.gif

But seriously - 6mm, which is the "appropriate" cable for a 7kW shower is abut 60-70p per m - hardly what I'd call costing the earth. Even if you used 10mm, which you may have done (see below) is only around the £1 mark.

How do I find out what sought of 45amp breaker I need
What size cable did you use? 45A is too big for 6mm, really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back