Hidden Junction Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that junction boxes must not be hidden under floors or beneath plaster etc. Two questions, does this also apply to junction boxes on the lighting circuits, and where are they normally put if they cannot be hidden?

Sponsored Links
Ideally plan your wiring so you do not need j/b's.
If not place where accesible in the loft or through the hole when the downlighter removed.

If I am using non ceiling rose lights then I will always need junction boxes though.

Looping in at the switch overcomes having a mass of wires at a fancy light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Good idea.

Not used this method before but the wiring looks simple enough. Is it a good idea to use deeper back boxes, and what sort of insulated connector is best to use, presumably not just a connector strip - it needs to be fully enclosed doesn't it. Can anybody provide a link to an example?

Thanks

A strip connector is fine. I usually use a peice of 15A, as it has room for the 3 neutrals.

Providing there are not too many cables, a 25mm box will be fine for a single switch, but there is nothing to stop you using a 35mm box to give yourself a bit more room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back