Hidden pipe radiator.

I'm sorry but did this person come recommended? JG pushfit is ok and will do the job but looking at the overall quality then whoever did it doesn't seem to be an experienced plumber/heating pro, more a handy man as suggested, either that or they just couldn't be bothered.

It wouldn't have taken much effort to solder all of that. Thought you wanted chrome out the wall into the valve?
He's my Father in laws neighbour. He recommended him.

I had totally forgot about chrome pipe. I assume it will be cheap covers then.

Sponsored Links
The last plumber who used push fit under floorboards when I asked him to adjust pipework for a new towel rail- I told him to remove it and solder it all. Ask them whether they'd do it in their own house. I doubt it.

That experience is what made me finally bite the bullet and buy my own torch so I can just do it properly myself.

He's my Father in laws neighbour. He recommended him.
Oh dear, especially as if he came recommended.

I'm, sorry but no self respecting professional would have left such a small job looking like that, well none that I know.

As suggested, push fit does have its place, even underfloor but that isn't one of them, not like that anyway.

The last plumber who used push fit under floorboards when I asked him to adjust pipework for a new towel rail- I told him to remove it and solder it all. Ask them whether they'd do it in their own house. I doubt it.

That experience is what made me finally bite the bullet and buy my own torch so I can just do it properly myself.
Honestly, at this point i feel this is something I need to learn. Out of all the DIY stuff plumbing is the thing I'm not confident doing.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, especially as if he came recommended.

I'm, sorry but no self respecting professional would have left such a small job looking like that, well none that I know.

As suggested, push fit does have its place, even underfloor but that isn't one of them, not like that anyway.
The more I look at it the more push fit makes no sense.

The reason I didn't want to go with the Manthorpe was to reduce the number of connections, now I've got loads.

Surely the more connections the increased risk of a leak?

Honestly, at this point i feel this is something I need to learn. Out of all the DIY stuff plumbing is the thing I'm not confident doing.
Same- it has been the last thing I have tackled and the one thing I kept putting off and calling in plumbers.

I bought myself a rothenberger superfire 2 and have been using yorkshire fittings, and the whole experience has been quite liberating it has to be said.

I've attended many leaks, but only seen 2 of them on pushfit where they'd mixed brands.
However, I have seen a lot of copper joints leaking.
I think the main problem with copper is to support it properly, but everyone of us has seen lenghts of 6/8 foot of pipe totally unsupported into the ceiling.
That won't make much difference to plastic pipes, but it does to copper imo.
Note, I am not a professional plumber.

The more I look at it the more push fit makes no sense.

The reason I didn't want to go with the Manthorpe was to reduce the number of connections, now I've got loads.

That would be my thinking too, reduce the joints, reduce the leak options

If it's been soldered properly then it doesn't matter how many connections there as it is all then considered one piece of pipe. The same cant be said about compression or pushfit.

Anyway, I guess the issue now is, do you leave it as it is or have it done properly? I would think twice about leaving it the way it is.

Not condoning the work shown above, the compression joint in the wall is a big no for me, a risk that would leak after the process of fitting the radiator and it's valves.

As for having push fit under the floor this is 100% normal and I'm a bit taken aback as to the negativity towards it. Over the years I have installed KMs of the pipe and thousands of fittings with little disparity between the failure of plastic and copper pipe/fittings.

Have plastic pipe throughout my home, copper in plant room/on show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back