Hidden socket in bathroom - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I am currently refitting my en-suite bathroom. I was preparing the walls for plastering where the shower cubical will go and found some dodgy filler. After knocking it back i have found an old plug socket - minus the face plate buried in the wall. Presumably that was part of the bedroom originally. The wires are terminated into a connector strip a the moment. The floor has already been tiled and so don't have access to the cables coming up from under the floor. Is there any other way i can sort this without having to pull up the floor?

Cheers in advance

Tom

Sponsored Links
Is this still live? does it need soting out? i have found numerous backplates in my house all dead, this was an old council house and Council just plastered over them or filled them in when the house was rewired,

Yeah i believe it is still live. I only say that because it has to wires going in so must be part of the ring (is that correct?). As i understand it i need to get an electrician in to do the job as its in the bathroom but i need a rough idea of what he'll do so i can prepare the area....

Cheers

If it's on a ring it could be isolated by getting to the sockets on either side of it, and bridging between them, then cutting or pulling out the redundant cable. If the cables run under the floor it might be possible to do it from the adjacent rooms, but you are going to have some floor taken up somewhere.

Alternatively, the cables could be rejointed permanently with ratcheted crimps, properly sealed and put back in the wall.

I always prefer to see a blanking plate over redundant points though, one day someone will take that shower cubicle out and drill a hole in the wall otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Cheers John, i didnt think of doing that. You wouldnt believe how close i was to going through the cable when knocking back the crap filler.

Thanks again

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back