High Impedance Earth, advice

Sponsored Links
M=2 is adequate for PME
Got a metal water supply pipe?
As I think you know, in the case of my installation, that question opens up a can of worms.

Yes, I currently have a metal water supply pipe, and that appears to be connected to my neighbour's PME earth - hence the sub-0.3Ω ZDB I enjoy (when measured with bonding is in place). That fact obviously goes a fair way to negating the point in my 'declining' the PME earth I have been offered!

However, there seems to be a potential problem with that supply pipe (over which some joker seemingly built my other neighbour's house!), so it's probably going to be replaced fairly soon. Since the replacement will presumably be plastic, everything might well then change.

Kind Regards, John

To the OP

I recently had a quote for PME earthing, as my house had none... it was £175.

To the OP ... I recently had a quote for PME earthing, as my house had none... it was £175.
I think that they commonly do it for nothing, not the least because the need for it is often due to their failure to adequately maintain a TN-S earth!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Interestingly the DNO chap said there was rumour that at the start of next year, these types of works would all be free.
Fortunately I didn't pay, but only because their was corroded main coming in and needed to be corrected.

Ukpn policy is to convert where changes are made to the cable with permission, but to supply TN-S if the householder wants to retain it. I assume that's for free.

won't lose one's earth completely
Yes but why do we need an earth in the first place? Just for the outside tap problem. Having an earth is only a means to an end (not getting an electric shock off the actual ground or vice versa), not an end in its own right.

Yes but why do we need an earth in the first place? Just for the outside tap problem. Having an earth is only a means to an end (not getting an electric shock off the actual ground or vice versa), not an end in its own right.
If one could be absolutely certain that the building was, and would always remain, totally earth-free, then I think that that would be true (within the building's equipotential zone - so other than for outside taps etc.). However, that certainty probably never exists - for a start, as bernard is always reminding us, 'unbonded' wet/damp floors and walls can sometimes provide a path to earth.

Kind Regards, John

No sign in those photos of an earth cable to the CU.

What wazzock did this?:

upload_2017-12-13_20-29-45.png

the 16mm earth goes up behind the consumer unit and in.

the flex cable is a great touch i know. whoever did it obviously knew the earth was ****

Are you saying that that green/yellow cable coming from the pipe at the bottom (and disappearing behind the board) is 'the' (only) earth?

Kind Regards, John

yep that's all I can see

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back