High Integrety CU - Internal cabling

slotted/pozidriv heads which are so ubiquitous in electrical switchgear to have earned the nickname "electrician's screws". (The idea is that first screwdriver out of the toolbox isused, and the user does not have to waste valuable time searching for the correct driver). Slotted/Phillips (as opposed to slotted/pozidriv) heads occur in some North American-made switchgear.

Aside from the combined slot/cross head, the US/Canada use a slot, combined with a square socket, in place of the cross, but there are two varieties of that - one with the square at right angles to the slot, the other set at a diagonal to the slot. Why does a simple screw, need to be made so complex?

I'm still waiting for delivery of the modulo drivers, to get these terminals done up properly tight :eek:

Sponsored Links
The history seems somewhat vague, as witnessed by the variety of names: modulo, plus-minus, positive-negative, zeno SL/PH or zeno SL/PZ etc etc. They may be modeled on pozidriv or philips. But it seems that the original development of the screws was, as one might expect, simply to make it easier to use the first screwdriver out of the toolbox without having to think.
Quite so. In circles I moved in, they were often referred to as "Lazy Electricians'Screws" for that very reason. As you say,they have been around for years, and I didn't realise that they were what we were talking about here - because I thought the whole point of them was the antithesis of what has been suggested here - namely that they were designed to be used satisfactorily with either a standard slotted screwdriver or a standard PZ one (and certainly didn't need some 'special screwdriver' - which are the things I'd never heard of().
The screwdrivers seem to have come about because the MCB etc manufacturers became more fussy about correct torquing and the first screwdriver out of the box wouldn't give accurate torque without damaging the screw, so they came up with screwdriver bits.
Maybe, but if that were the case,I would probably question the design of the screw!

Has no-one considered the possibility that these screwdrivers/bits could be the creation of some clever marketing person as a means of making money out of 'gullible electricians'? :)

Kind Regards, John

As you say,they have been around for years, and I didn't realise that they were what we were talking about here - because I thought the whole point of them was the antithesis of what has been suggested here - namely that they were designed to be used satisfactorily with either a standard slotted screwdriver or a standard PZ one (and certainly didn't need some 'special screwdriver' - which are the things I'd never heard of().

As already suggested, I must have a choice of around 200 screwdrivers to choose from, and failed to find a single one which worked with these MK/Honeywell terminals, so the suggestion that the original idea was to be able to use either type of driver, didn't work at all for me. It just caused me massive annoyance...

The MCB/RCD terminals are all of the clamp type, the screw just tightens the clamp up, whereas the neutral and earth terminal had the screw bearing directly onto the cable ends. In both cases, the pressure applied by the screws was so light, cables were still quite loose and coming adrift with the slightest provocation. PZ2 drivers were camming out, and the slots were just too shallow to use a decent straight driver.

Has no-one considered the possibility that these screwdrivers/bits could be the creation of some clever marketing person as a means of making money out of 'gullible electricians'?
Well, not really. Given the starting point, that the screws were already in use, the screwdrivers turn out to be necessary to torque the screws without damage. As you haven't tried them you won't know how solid they feel in use.

And the screws found their first application in furniture assembly.

Sponsored Links
Well, not really. Given the starting point, that the screws were already in use, the screwdrivers turn out to be necessary to torque the screws without damage.
Yes, that is what is being said, but if they are properly designed to accommodate a PZ bit, I don't see why such a bit should cause 'damage'.
As you haven't tried them you won't know how solid they feel in use.
That's obviously true - so I have no idea as to whether they feel (tome) any more 'solid' than alternatives.

I think this may throw a spanner (if not some screwdrivers!) into the works ;) ....

@333rocky333 has kindly shared with me some correspondence he received from a screwdriver manufacturer and it contains some interesting information about these 'modulo' (PZ/SL) screwdrivers. In essence, it suggests that they have found that such screwdrivers are not suitable for use with most brands of CU devices, and points out that the manufacturers of the devices often advise that only PZ or PH screwdrivers/bts should be used with their device terminal screws.

@333rocky333 would you be happy for me to share ('anonymously') the relevant sections of the e-mail with the forum?

Kind Regards, John

I think this may throw a spanner (if not some screwdrivers!) into the works ;) ....

@333rocky333 has kindly shared with me some correspondence he received from a screwdriver manufacturer and it contains some interesting information about these 'modulo' (PZ/SL) screwdrivers. In essence, it suggests that they have found that such screwdrivers are not suitable for use with most brands of CU devices, and points out that the manufacturers of the devices often advise that only PZ or PH screwdrivers/bts should be used with their device terminal screws.

@333rocky333 would you be happy for me to share ('anonymously') the relevant sections of the e-mail with the forum?

Kind Regards, John
Well that is a surprise, ever since owning one I've found it's a beautiful fit in every MCB and I believe it's fair to say that it has been used exclusifvely for the purpose. I will add mine is too big to fit in some load sides of RCBOs and a PH2 is used there but not PZ2.

I would certainly love to have the relevant part of that if I may please, particularly if there are any brands listed.

particularly if there are any brands listed.
It's my understanding, from other websites, that Wylex have been saying this, in published documents, for years. I also note that Hager show two columns for torquing, one for PZ and one for SL. It makes no sense to me to 1) invent a new screw just because some other vendor is using them and 2) then insist that you can't use a screwdriver that is designed to fit well into this screw head.

The scams have published guides suggesting that their members should ask each CU manufacturer which screwdriver they require to be used. Talk about passing the buck!

Well that is a surprise, ever since owning one I've found it's a beautiful fit in every MCB and I believe it's fair to say that it has been used exclusifvely for the purpose. I will add mine is too big to fit in some load sides of RCBOs and a PH2 is used there but not PZ2.
I was somewhat surprised, too.
I would certainly love to have the relevant part of that if I may please, particularly if there are any brands listed.
I'll send you the relevant part by PM,but won't post here unless/until rocky says that he's happy with that. No brands were named, but the guy said that only one of the brands he had examined had screws which he considered suitable for a PZ/SL screwdriver. He suggested that one possible explanation is that most device manufacturers may not actually be using PZ/SL-compliant screws and that what they are buying are PZ screws across which a 'slot'has been cut ('for lazy electricians!).

I was somewhat surprised, too.

I'll send you the relevant part by PM,but won't post here unless/until rocky says that he's happy with that. No brands were named, but the guy said that only one of the brands he had examined had screws which he considered suitable for a PZ/SL screwdriver. He suggested that one possible explanation is that most device manufacturers may not actually be using PZ/SL-compliant screws and that what they are buying are PZ screws across which a 'slot'has been cut ('for lazy electricians!).
Well I for one always found a ¼" instrument flat blade was the best fit until I got one.

Only called high integrity as it followed on from the split load board which was half non RCD & half RCD.
As I understood it, a High Integrity board had two banks with an RCD feeding each, plus a small busbar for 1, 2 or 3 breakers or RCBOs fed off the main switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back