High Integrety CU - Internal cabling

Has no-one considered the possibility that these screwdrivers/bits could be the creation of some clever marketing person as a means of making money out of 'gullible electricians'? :)
Good comment I suspect

Sponsored Links
Good comment I suspect
My thought is that if (as I understood) the PZ/SL head was designed specifically so as to work perfectly satisfactorily with both PZ and slotted drivers,why would there be any need for a 'special'new driver to use with it - other than to make money for those manufacturing and selling it?

Kind Regards, John

I might be coming round to agree with you.

Another thing I did not realise before is that if (as thought) these screws had been purposely designed to be "better" why is/was it necessary to have both phillips and pozidrive versions of them and the drivers?

I have a tendency to put the flat blade portion 90 degrees out from where it should be therefore heavily wearing out the driver. a straight forward pozi might have been better rather than the modulo. You really need one for the MCBs and often a slimline one for RCBOs dependant upon type and of course you might need the ph/flat rather than the pozi/flat too. A lot of kerfuffle IMHO

Sponsored Links
My thought is that if (as I understood) the PZ/SL head was designed specifically so as to work perfectly satisfactorily with both PZ and slotted drivers,why would there be any need for a 'special'new driver to use with it - other than to make money for those manufacturing and selling it?

Kind Regards, John

Mmm - The CK Modulo driver were delivered this morning and.... I'm not much impressed, that they are a better idea than the old terminal screws, combined with a decent, flat bladed screwdriver. The driver heads fit in either the correct slots, or 90 out of phase with them, which then means they cam out. In the correct orientation they are better, but they still need lots of pressure on them, to prevent them camming out. I always liked to work - one hand on the cable to settle it into the terminal, the other to operate the positively located screwdriver, to tighten the screw - that doesn't work so easily with these screws/drivers.

Mmm - The CK Modulo driver were delivered this morning and.... I'm not much impressed, that they are a better idea than the old terminal screws, combined with a decent, flat bladed screwdriver.
I can't say I'm all that surprised.

The more I read and think about these 'Modulo drivers' the more I come to wonder whether they may perhaps be ,worse than "a solution to a non-existent problem", perhaps not even a very satisfactory solution to that imagined problem!

As I've said,the people to whom they do offer a definite 'benefit' are those who manufacture and sell them :)

I think it's about time to do a poll. AFAIC from the very first use it has felt very good, very positive. One of those 'why didn't I find this years ago' moments.

This is an interesting demonstration of the mentality of your typical internet conspiracy theorist. In this case someone who shall be nameless, but he knows who he is, is proposing that all the (one assumes non-associated) manufacturers of such items as MCBs got together (illegally) and decided to use similar strange screws of a type previously unknown except to furniture manufacturers (but which actually appear to have no published standard) purely so that another financially completely unrelated screwdriver manufacturer could make an profit. Really?

Indeed, it makes far more sense, that manufacturers started fitting combination screws, something that initially seems handy for the customer but in practice means that neither screwdriver works as well as it should. Then screwdriver manufacturers saw a market in making a driver specifically for those combination screws.

Mmm - The CK Modulo driver were delivered this morning and.... I'm not much impressed, that they are a better idea than the old terminal screws, combined with a decent, flat bladed screwdriver. The driver heads fit in either the correct slots, or 90 out of phase with them, which then means they cam out. In the correct orientation they are better, but they still need lots of pressure on them, to prevent them camming out. I always liked to work - one hand on the cable to settle it into the terminal, the other to operate the positively located screwdriver, to tighten the screw - that doesn't work so easily with these screws/drivers.

I was maybe being a little harsh...

Given a little more time later in the afternoon, I gave the Modulos a rather longer test.. Obviously the first time around, they were not fully seating into the sockets, in the screws. After a little use (bedding in?) they went in to place with much more positivity.

This is an interesting demonstration of the mentality of your typical internet conspiracy theorist. In this case someone who shall be nameless, but he knows who he is .... is,...
As I'm sure you will have noticed,I am generally not one for 'conspiracy theories' - and, indeed, usually criticise, if not 'mock' them. That's second nature to me, since I work in highly evidence-based fields.

However, I would suggest that my comments about this issue are not really a ';conspiracy theory' but, rather, observations of logic based on 'my understanding'of the situation. Maybe my understanding is incorrect,but I thought these screw heads were designed to be equally satisfactorily used with either a PZ or a slotted driver. If that is correct (maybe not?) then I would say that, by definition, a 'special driver' would not be required - which then leads me to consider who would benefit from producing and selling these items.
.... is proposing that all the (one assumes non-associated) manufacturers of such items as MCBs got together (illegally) and decided to use similar strange screws of a type previously unknown except to furniture manufacturers (but which actually appear to have no published standard) purely so that another financially completely unrelated screwdriver manufacturer could make an profit. Really?
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. it is not the screws I've been talking about, so the 'manufacturers of items such as MCBs" don't come into the equation. It would not be unreasonable for them to adopt screws with a head that could be used with whatever screwdriver an electrician had closest to hand - and maybe that' what happened?

As above it;s the drivers I'm talking about, not the screws - and, again as above, if my understanding of 'the point' of the screws is correct (maybe not?), then 'special driver'for them should not be needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back