high/low spots in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am planning on refitting our bathroom, but when planning the tiling i have found one stud wall has some vertical high spots, to me it looks like at every other stud, i am just looking for the best solution to this, i would say if i put a level across the high points then the gap would be 10mm max

hopefully someone will have some answers

many thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
How old is the property Brett?. I've seen this in many houses that were constructed in the 50's and 60's. Plasterboard in those days never had bevelled edges, and the "tapes" they used then were very wide and thick. These tapes, plus the lack of bevelled edges always made prominent bumps at every joint in the plasterboard, be it on walls or ceilings. Because todays plasterboard for taping has bevelled edges, and the joint tape is much thinner, you don't/shouldn't get such bumps. If i'm going to plaster over a wall with these bumps in, i normally run a handsaw at an angle, down or along the bump to remove the vast majority of the "peak". I really do scrape into the old plasterboard to flatten each joint as much a possible. When i'm happy with it, i'll dampen down and PVA the joint, then re-tape over the old joint, but keeping the tape/filler as tight as possible to the wall, then it's ready to plaster over it. You could probably use the same method before you tile, depending how bad the bumps are.

it was built in 1989, the wall was tiled half way up and where i have pilled the old tiles off there are no high spots but further up the wall that wasnt tiled is where the high spots are.

i did wonder if it would be possible to shave off as much of the bump as possible so thats one option or just reboard it making sure its level, if i went with reboarding do i need the board plastered or can i tile straight to the board?

thanks

brett

Sponsored Links
Re-boarding would be best that's for sure. You wont need to plaster the new board either, just tile straight onto it. The only thing i would say is tape the joints/fill out the bevels, nothing fancy, just put on the tape, and fill it out with a drop of filler. You could even go for
straight edged plasterboard, (no bevels). Again, just put a tape over the joint, cover it with tile adhesive as you go, and tile away. Tiling onto "bare/new plasterboard" is always the best way, although there is nothing wrong with tiling onto old plasterboard as long as it's not been damaged. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back