High power black lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These used to be used in the local "Flares" and "Reflex" nightclub, a 70's and 80's place, one upstairs, one downstairs. They had about 10 of these going in a 4000sqft room, covered most of the place. They were low-bay fittings with a blacklight lamp in them.

Unfortunately they were removed and replaced with about 3 six-foot fluorescent blacklights, which dont have half the coverage. I can only think this was for elf'n'safty, perhaps due to the sheer amount of black light given off perhaps being harmful, or perhaps because the ceilings are only 9ft at best and you could touch some of the lights, they ran hot.

Anyone shed some light? :cool: Are these lamps still available?

Sponsored Links
They are a discharge lamp and fit a metal halide fitting I recall, 250 and 400watt are common sizes.

They are still available and still widely used.

Often known as 'black light cannons' or 'UV cannons'. You can buy the correct cannon fitting, or use a metal halide lowbay.

Cheers guys, im not after them, just curious as to why they might have been removed. Running cost may be one factor - given this place has every square metre of ceiling covered in lights. :)

Sponsored Links
It always makes me wonder if looking direcly at one of those 400w UV cannons can damage your eyes (UV radiation)?
You wouldn't like to look directly at a 400w son or MH lamp.

Steve, don't tell me you're frequenting that place on Nunroyd Park!!!! Hell when it was 'The Dark Place' we only went when we didn't feel complete slaughtered and even then regreted it!!!!

SHAME SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!

Steve, don't tell me you're frequenting that place on Nunroyd Park!!!! Hell when it was 'The Dark Place' we only went when we didn't feel complete slaughtered and even then regreted it!!!!

Your forgetting, I'm in Doncaster. Flares used to be down a basement before Lazarus took over the entire complex and refurbed it. Its now where the White Bear used to be. Used to be a right old man pub.

I got barred from there :LOL:

and I thought I was doing well getting refused into the club in Ilkley (when it was there)
I didnt think anyone got barred from that place, or refused entry.

There was an incident which occuored. It involved a radiator 'coming away from the wall'.

The door staff assisted us with finding our way out :oops:

I will say no more :LOL:

You must be posh going to the trav :LOL:

I got barred from there :LOL:

I barred myself :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As for the Trav, we took a few coaches from TASC back in the good old days, we weren't very welcome afterwards, still at least they didn't take a court injunction out on us like YORK COUNCIL DID!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back