High utility bills!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got the quarterly leccy bill and came to £360 odd! Seems a tad excessive. I just cant understand where its all going! The readings seem OK however they have nobbled us on the average readings a few times!

What are you're average readings? The statement say we are using about 30 KwHrs a day! It just does not seem right for an average kind of size family/house.

Sponsored Links
its cold

In December I used 72 kWh/day for heating and hot water (gas) and 25 kWh/day for electricity including bedroom heating top-up overnights for person in poor health

Look for fan heaters, tumble driers, washing machines, immersion heater, electric showers, heated outbuildings

lighting is usually insignificant (provided you have plenty of CFLs and no halogens, downlighters etc)

We've just had our 6 month energy bill (we only get one every 6 months), and for gas and electricity combined it's only £318...

Yeah but really shouldnt make much difference to the leccy bill as all the heating is gas. No electric heating at all apart from a small oil filled radiator that rarely gets used. I suppose the tumble drier does gets used a bit more. The washing machine has the same use as in the summer. No electric shower. Got a combi system so no immersion. All lights are energy saving variety. Also its been about the £300 mark for past few quarters. Something seems amiss :confused:

Sponsored Links
invest in an electricians Clamp Meter and put it on ONE of the supply tails from the electricity meter. You can probably get a cheap chinese one for less than £20. It will show you Amps being used. It is not electrically connected to anything, you just clip it round a cable and it detects current through the insulation. A tumble drier will use about 10-12 Amps while it is running, a washing machine will use about the same during its heating cycle ( a bit under 3 kWh per hour). Kettles, toasters and ovens are about the same but are not on for significant periods in ordinary domestic installations.

If you find usage is more than makes sense, turn off MCBs one at a time and see if there is a load you were not expecting.

You can also do it by watching the electricity meter but this takes more time and effort.

An electric heater in shed, garage or loft might be forgotten. There is also the possibility of a fault which would be worrying.

Most of my usage is the tumble drier.

Cheers JohnD will take those things to note. Really need to get to the bottom of this. If I knew where abouts it was going at least it would be helpful it trying to reduce the bills.

Just got the quarterly leccy bill and came to £360 odd!

no, the cost of leccy went up.

People ask about a high bill, and some will say check this, get that, I think its a waste of time, the cost of lecy went up, and like me i assume you are doing no different than say this time last year, its just tough, the lecy cost went up, short of changing supplier, (no dont go there) i dont suppose there is much you really can do. that you have not done already

Over the past 4 weeks I have been arguing with EDF over my Lekky bill of £355.

The price rises couldn't account for the double size of the bill from last year. I noticed that they had billed me for a higher useage after the cost of electricity rose. They kept arguing that was normal while I wanted the higher useage pre-price rise.

We, a Supervisor and I, finally agreed on a goodwill reduction of £81. God only knows where that figure sprang from.

They have now sent me a revised bill of ......£355. Yep. Back on the phone to them tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Get an OWL (or similar) energy meter (around £30 on Ebay) this will enable you to check your consumption at any one time and see where your excess use is.

Sponsored Links
Back