Fuel bills or statements: a history and a question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello: Are there readers of this posting that, in these busy times, go to the trouble of checking the charges on their gas and electricity usage statements, as I do? If so, this may be of interest to you. If not, it will be just a bore. By the way, this is being posted in the UK.
Because I am an old man, I have been receiving gas and electricity bills for many, many years. It just seems to be my nature to check things — it’s not that my nature is untrusting. In all the years that I have been receiving and checking my fuel bills, never once have I found any inaccuracy in my bills/statements. (I know that the amounts — so many units, at so many pence per unit — are rounded up or down to the nearest penny.)
At a guess, it must be four or five years since my supplier (Co-operative Energy) was taken over by a bigger firm. In (approximately) four years of receiving statements from my latest supplier, the statements from them (the one that took over Co-op Energy) had always been “spot on”, when I have checked the arithmetic with my calculator.
Yet, about six months ago, I noticed small inaccuracies in a statement (they are quarterly). The inaccuracy was only about two pence, and the discrepancy simply puzzled me. Even after a double and a third check, the inaccuracy showed. On the statement that arrived three months after this, there were two more inaccuracies, of about five and seven pence (I’m typing this from memory). All of the inaccuracies were in favour of the supplier. Now, I must confess that it did occur to me that, if a supplier were crafty, conceivably, they could make small “mistakes” like this with many, many customers, many of whom would be too busy, or to little interested, to check their statements. Further, it occurred to me that, even if these customers did check their bills, the amounts would be so paltry that they would not dream of taking the matter up with the supplier. Suddenly, it became rather more important for me to take notice of these differences.
So, I wrote to my supplier and pointed out these errors, asking how it could possibly be that a computer-generated bill could be in error. I pointed out, in passing, that I could not help noticing that all of the erroneous amounts were in favour of the supplier! The reply that eventually came was ludicrous, and could not hold water for a moment. Further, after that, another error showed on the next statement (about 8p) that was in favour of the customer. “Ha!” I thought, “they are being crafty!” And this reasoning was all very natural, was it not?
When I persisted in asking for a reason for the anomalies, about two more “reasons” were advanced, and these seemed to be more ridiculous than the first one. It certainly did seem as if I was being played for a fool. Either that, or that the office staff themselves were idiots, in thinking that their "explanations" were rational. In all, I think I received three statements that, unlike those received for many years, contained arithmetical errors of a very few pence. Whether this will continue is uncertain, but it certainly is a change from the dead-accurate statements previously received by any supplier, the latest one included.
Fairly recently, the meter reader called, and asked to read both meters at my home, which he did. As always, I myself read the meters immediately he left, and wrote down both readings on paper.
The next statement that arrived showed that only one meter (the electricity) had been read, whereas the gas meter reading was stated to have been provided by me, the customer. The figure had been altered — by one unit — from the reading taken on that day, and the difference was in favour of the supplier.
Immediately, I challenged what I saw to be deliberate dishonesty on the part of the meter-reader, the supplier, or both. And, after all the to-ing and fro-ing, and the nonsensical replies, about the small inaccuracies, I was furious. I demanded that my queries be taken to the next level (which is the procedure, where this supplier is concerned).
Finally, I received what seemed, at least, as if it might be a rational explanation about the minor errors. There was also an admission that, on their original document (which I never saw, of course), the meter reading was stated to be by, not the customer, as had previously been stated, but by the meter-reader. They offered me £30.00 if I would declare the matter closed (from the context, presumably, they meant the matter of the inaccuracies). I have not accepted this, because it would have taken from me the moral right to discuss this entire matter in public. It seemed like an offer of “hush money”.
The explanation finally given for this was that their charges are calculated (by them) to FOUR decimal places, whereas (they say) the statement that is printed and sent to the customer is worked out to only TWO decimal places. Hmmm! They also say that this is not a new procedure (I asked them whether it was), but that this has always been their way of doing things. Even if they are telling the truth, strangely, this difference had never produced any discrepancies, large or small, in all the previous time that I had dealt with this supplier. So, my question is: are there others reading this posting that have noticed minor anomalies in their statements? Are there readers that can say, with confidence, that they have never found any arithmetical anomalies in their statements? The supplier in question is Octopus Energy.
I should be most interested to read what others may have to say about this entire matter, and thank readers in hopeful anticipation.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
This is what mental illness looks like when it is translated to text on a screen !

I am distrusting by nature and my experience confirms my disposition. But I don't check statements because that's too dull. A private for profit entity trying to take money from you seems nothing extraordinary. If you have the time and interest to fight them, then good for you.

Sponsored Links
I am distrusting by nature and my experience confirms my disposition. But I don't check statements because that's too dull. A private for profit entity trying to take money from you seems nothing extraordinary. If you have the time and interest to fight them, then good for you.
"another error showed on the next statement (about 8p)"

5.5 Million customers, paying 5p per quarter extra, would be 1.1 million pounds per year.

Not to be sneezed at.

You have no right to take other people's 8p. If everyone takes 8p from you, you will have nothing left. This kind of error is not acceptable.
I will devote the rest of what's left of my life & goddamnit there will be no one left standing to take 8p from me.

This is what mental illness looks like when it is translated to text on a screen !
It seems that you think I am paranoid or something. Not quite, but one reason for my posting was to see whether any reader would think I was making much out of little. I don't think it's crazy to want to have suddenly-appearing anomalies explained. Nor is it paranoid to think that, if a company offers ridiculous "explanations" (you should read them — you would have thought them ridiculous also), they may be hiding something. All told, it seems to me that my insistence on a proper explanation was totally in order. Even their last, more "rational" explanation does not satisfy everything, when anomalies have never happened previously.
L.L.

Of all the energy suppliers I have to deal with - 4 in total, namely E.on, E.on trade, EDF and Octopus, mainly because I look after the elderly family and their domestic bills.
The one I have least issue with Octopus who accept my monthly meter reading and their bill aligns with my spreadsheet to the rounded penny.
Biggest hassle is E.on domestic who no longer have the ability to speak to someone to give meter readings to. Every bill I've had for the last 4.5 years has been estimated even when a meter reader has called and taken the readings. I've written to them with photographs of the meter, totally ignored. The account is well out of alignment with the readings but money wise is about correct. The E.on trade account is a 3ph smart meter with external antenna so I know the domestic smart meter won't work in the location. That I think is OK (except for the cost - £0.61 per unit & £0.71 daily standing charge), tied in for another 18 months.
EDF are the supplier I can't wait to get rid of, horrible company to deal with, their 'agents' are hopeless neither understand requests, jokes or think the customer has other concerns or intetests. Bill's only twice a year but always taking money. They have been trying to fit a smart meter for 2years, after 5 appointments, 2 visits and being told that I will not give them a meter reading if they fit a SM (cause I know a SM won't work in that location, and the 2nd fitter agreed with me) I hope they have finally given up. I've given a meter reading on the day every month for the last two and bit years.

What I do find 'interesting' is that it appears all meter readings go through or are sent to a central collection point before the supplier bills the customer. How have formed that opinion - when I changed suppliers in 2020 my readings were disputed and I had to supply photos of the meter displays.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back