High water bill - ISSUE SOLVED (see page 5)

Turn the meter stop tap off and see who comes out complaining their waters gone off. I put a boiler in for someone in an upstairs flat, internal stop tap would'nt close so turned meter off. Bloke in the downstairs flat says i turned his off so i checked. Turns out they've been sharing a meter fir six years and both claimed to be paying high bills. Water board came out and he reckoned the rebate would pay for the new boiler :p I got a good tip ;)

Sponsored Links
A 163³ is a lot of water, don't think a dripping ballcock would waste that much.

How long a period is the bill for

unless your running the public swimming baths, i recon you got a burst below ground. as said, turn off rising main to house, and check water meter spin.

Can someone explain this...

I have one gold coloured knob in the downstairs toilet that seems to turn off the water to the kitchen + possibly the downstairs toilet itself.

However, to turn off the upstairs, there is a seperate red handled hot/cold knob in the airing cupboard.

Which one should I switch off to check the meter properly - I assume both?

I think earlier when they came from the water company, I turned off the gold coloured knob and they told me the water meter was still turning slowly.

Tomorrow I'm out at work for about 12 hours, so plan to read meter, turn off ALL water and then check when I get back home.

Sponsored Links
The brass/gold one is your main internal stop tap. The red gate valve probably controls water from cold water storage tank in loft to hw cylinder and cold taps - except kitchen cold tap.

Turn off the brass one to isolate everything into house. Obviously water will still flow from storage tank until it runs dry.

So if I turn off brass one - the meter should stay still all day.

If it moved then it's a problem outside the house?

£60 a month ain't bad...

I think it is. Everyone I know pays far less.

My friend lives with wife and young toddler. His bill was £170.
My friend loves with wide and 6 kids his was £220
My friend lives with GF and his was £140

My bill for me and GF is £342.

I work 60+ hours a week. She works a flat 40. Neither use the bath. We have no dish washer. No garden.

Yet we pay more on this meter that was newly installed than we did before. We switched as we are trying to save money.

I think u might have been told porkies mate i pay £63 per month wife an 2 kids, my mum lives on her own an is 78 she pays £30 per month!

Ah just read ur post mate the truth is in your post!!! Ur friends are not on meters they are paying re the old rateable value!! Thats why theres and you old bill was much cheaper!! Its very unkikeky to save you money changing to meter unless your single u should have stayed where you are.. On the old system. U were given poor advice

Those quotes are from people on meters.

Also my usage is high - 5 times expected according to water company at 163m3. It should be far less.

Sorry mate but if u got a mate with 6 kids and hes got that low a bill hes either dirty or a liar not possible .

Thanks for your input but I think you're wrong. £60 for 2 people a month is far too much.

Also in general meters are cheaper for those people who work, live as a couple or single.

For your usage, yeah - I think you're a little over; I would have expected it to be closer to £40.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back