hire or buy second hand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need a theodolite, laser level and maybe some sort of machine control (for the digger) for a project due to take around 3 months which starts in a few weeks time. I am trying to weigh up the costs associated with buying used survey equipment compared to survey equipment hire.

Some of the large and well-known hire sheds seem to be rather expensive and wont negotiate or better upon their "weekly prices". I don't want to buy used equipment from eBay because frankly I don't trust those people.

Can anyone recommend where to buy these types of instruments from - used or ex-hire - OR any cheap places I could hire decent equipment from?

Sponsored Links
"from eBay because frankly I don't trust those people."
well i am one of those people and i only sell very good tools to keep up my good feedback, any junk ends up at the auction.

"from eBay because frankly I don't trust those people."
well i am one of those people and i only sell very good tools to keep up my good feedback, any junk ends up at the auction.

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend; I know lots of sellers are good people but we are talking about high value items here and there are a lot of dodgy folks about on ebay for this type of gear - if you get me?

if its faulty get your money back, simples, if its knocked off then that is the only way to get it cheap

Sponsored Links
or
200px-Groma.jpg

I don't know what theodolite you need or if indeed it is a theodolite or just an optical level, but prices can vary a great deal depending on what you want.

Ebay sellers are either companies with good offers or people who have bought the equipment for a one-off job (eg self build) and are then selling the stuff on. If not a proper business seller, then you need to do more checks/enquiries to make sure that the instrument has not been abused and is out of alignment - but you can normally fish the info out and a duff instrument is rare

It depends on how much you really need the equipment - daily use or a day here and there, and if a lot of use do you need the back up of a hire centre for quick replacement if needed?

If you google for " surveying supplies " then you can get some idea of equipment and prices and then compare on ebay. There are a couple of cheap suppliers who should pop up in the list

Don't forget tripods, staffs, poles, receivers and targets etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back