Hiring a mini digger.

Go and ask now! In my new build 15 years ago I got my front garden changed to additional parking by asking the foreman if he knew anyone who did “private” jobs. Cost me £200, foundations, block paving, materials and labour.

Sponsored Links
Be mindful with any digger you can do more harm if you're not adept at controlling one. As others have said you need to ensure you've mastered a few things.

Lesson oh so CRUCIAL lesson 1
Make abso fking sure you have no cables or pipes in the area you are digging, really be sure, that 'root' you're pulling up isn't an underground swa cable or worse gas etc.

MAke sure you really study below:

Replacing the bucket, some have an auto release pin, some a single spring loaded system and some need both pins bashing out.
Learn how to manoeuvre buckets with the arm only as they are heavy. Make sure you really understand this replacement procedure.
Use the widest bucket for clearance.
Be mindful of digger positioning with the blade. Using the blade for stability and digging on uneven ground makes a big difference, t
The blade is your friend not just for bulldozing watch this video here to see why:

Be mindful of the throttle, more throttle gives more power and in most diggers faster movement, which can be harder if you are a novice to operate smoothly.
If any of this sounds daunting just hire someone to do it, otherwise crack on and enjoy it, i always enjoy operating these you can become very accurate and precise with practice.
Be confident but be mindful of the dammage these machines can cause if not treated with adequate control.

Last edited:
Have you had any more thoughts on what you're going to do about the digger situation Conny? Hire a man with a digger or are you going to have a go yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
No not yet. Other things need seeing to first so it may be a bit later in the year.
I've asked him to let me know when the builders are planning to do the side fencing, so if he lets me know before they start, I'll pop over and have a word with them.

Back