Mini Digger Hire - do you need a licence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you need a licence to use a mini digger, if you hire one?

Sponsored Links
If its not going on the public road you wont (it would need to be registered anyway).
The hire company will give you brief instructions on how to use it.
You can always call a hire company & ask when you get a quote

If its not going on the public road you wont (it would need to be registered anyway).
The hire company will give you brief instructions on how to use it.

I wasn't planning on nipping the shops on it (I'm sure Asda wouldn't be too happy to see me in aisles running over the beans!) hehehe :D

Thanks for the quick answer Diyisfun. I've emailed the hire company to see if they can confirm that. I've used one many years ago and it didn't seem too complicated but if they give you a quick crash course that would great!

I'll let you know what they reply with

That was quick! Here is the reply from hire company:

Thank you for your interest in the Mini Digger 0.8 Tonne and the 1.5 Tonne. The cost to hire is £120 plus vat for a 48 hour / weekend hire period.

We do also charge £10.00 for a Tracking Device and a Damage Waiver Protection which is 10% of the above hire rate plus vat.

Delivery and Collection is priced at £10.00 each way plus vat.

We do also provide this equipment full of fuel and charge £20.00 including the vat. However you do not have to replace this after use.

The total charge for the hire works out at £215.60.
We do not take a deposit.

To drive this equipment you do not need a licence in order to use one.

If you would like to book this piece of equipment for hire, please contact me on the number below and I’ll be more than happy to organise this for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

National Tool Hire Shops

...good call Diyisfun! Bang on the money with that answer.... now all I need to do is measure my gate to check the thing will fit through it. I don't think the missus would be too pleased if I have to take the back wall down (again / long story) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Wooooo... only 70cm width for the 0.8T mini digger, that should get through the gate no problem! I think my backside is wider than that hahaha

noseall, I thought earlier today that I might need some sort of licence to use a mini digger but I've been told I don't as I'm only using it on my own property and not driving it in the street or working on the road.

charge all the local kids a pound a minute for a go, you should recoup your costs by lunch time and youd get your garden dug for free!!!!

last time I hired a bloke in a mini digger, he did all the work in a day and charge £180 all in. This was a few years ago mind.
I've always been told it works out cheaper to hire someone with their own mini digger as they can often do the job in half the time due to their experience. Not sure if this is still the case, maybe worth getting a quote or 2?
If it does work out cheaper but you want to have a go in a digger then you could alway use the money saved and go to diggerland instead

wow! The wife will kill me for this but I'm going to take my boy. What a great original idea and ideal for a father / son day out :D

Has anyone been?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back