hiring a spray gun for spraying masonry paint on exterior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today i started repainting my rendered house. Needless to say i didn't get very far witha 5" brush and am considering hiring a compressor and spray gun.

I am unsure if there is a particular type of syray gun I need for masonry paint (intend to phone hire shop 2moro), and more importantly I hjave no idea how long I need to hire for.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess on how many hours spraying to cover all 3 sides of a normal sized 3 bedroom semi?

Any help appreciated, cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
wish it was that simple. the surface is a very heavy render and don't think even a long pile roller would give the coverage.

dont mean something like pebble dash do you? i do however see your poin, but with a spray gun, you may spray mpre than you intend.

there was a post on here about removing paint from a car, the wind had unknowingly blown it while spraying something.

now this is going to sound silly but why not spray in a box, no front or back, that way it wont blow away, oh, and while you are onto the hire shop, get a scafhold, ladders are only a means of access

Sponsored Links
yes a very heavy pebble dash its full of lumps and bumps very difficult to paint.

Will the hire shop have a specific gun/compressor for the task? Is there anything I should know before I phone up?

As for you point about a scaffold, yes I would like one but can no way afford it, ladders will have to do i'm afraid.

ladders will not do you may be carrying a heavy spray gun and its pipes, tell me ladders will do when you fall off.

how can you say you cant afford it, you dont know how much it will cost, or the spray gun,you can afford the spray gun because you are lazy,why not hire the scaffold and make life easier, no up an down all the time, its safer. there are various forms of scaffold available

I can't really afford the spray gun it's become a neccesity because of the painting difficulty.

As for the scaffold, due to the strange lie of the land around my house I would need a custom scaffold to be erected costing around £300-400 pounds. Its my own choice to use ladders, I am aware of the dangers and I don't need a lecture in health and safety from you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

perhaps you could answer my original question of which type of spray gun I would require?

please note 10a

danlightbulb said:
.............As for the scaffold, due to the strange lie of the land around my house I would need a custom scaffold to be erected costing around £300-400 pounds. Its my own choice to use ladders, I am aware of the dangers and I don't need a lecture in health and safety from you................

At-a-boy dan, you tell the old busybody, work off a ladder........er, that's what I thought 'til I discovered gravity. I found it worked everywhere, have you found the off button yet? Anyway, what's a broken bone or two?:evil:

Like I said, I am aware of the risks from working off ladders, would love a scaffold but I can't afford it.

The reason that I want the spray gun is not lazyness but to get decent coverage on the pebbledash without slopping on tonnes of paint from a brush.

danlightbulb said:
Like I said, I am aware of the risks from working off ladders, would love a scaffold but I can't afford it.
How much do you value your life?

Last year over 400,000 fallen off ladders & roof, many has died from it, make you think doesn't it.

yes it does make me think. makes me think to ensure that someone is holding the ladder, that the ladder is tied off properly, that I don't overstretch.

If I think about what I am doing then I will be safe. People can fall off scaffolds as well you know if they are not careful.

The bottom line is that I CANNOT AFFORD TO RENT SCAFFOLD. i can't magic up some money from nowhere can I. And I have to paint the house before the bad weather sets in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Look, I am sorry if I have appeared rude, I do appreciate the advice from you all on the ladders thing.

Unfortunately I am just going to have to take the risk, and try to ensure that I take as many (free) precautions as I can not to fall off.

please note 10a this is the 2nd time i have had to mention it, in the same topic

you should be able to do it in a weekend, but it would be just as quick to buy a 12 inch deep pile roller.

Right then....shall we get back to the question?

Spray painting...Dan....you may be throwing good money away mate, I have an airless spray machine and it will spray paint up to about 3600 psi....pretty powerful....

But....I wouldnt bother on rough cast or dashing because what happens it the iar can form a vacumn in the rescess of the surface and it stops the paints from going it....it will go in eventually....but the surface will be flooded by then.

Also....my machine came with its own set of emergency instruction to pass to a a&e dept should there be an accident.....they are dangerous machines......very dangerous....in the wrong hands...they are fatal...

It really isnt just a case of turn it on..dip on end in the paint and bosh....three sides of an house painted in half a day....there are considerations...the tip size...the type of paint.....how much you hav/can thin it...h/s issues...what to do if you have a blockage...what pressure will you use in relation to the viscosity of the paint...

As someone mentioned....overspray...murder....the overspray can travel a good couple of hundred yards easy....'spraying in a box'....no way...

Dan.....it took me a good few sessions to get used to my machine....they aint for DIY ers beleive me.....and whats the cost?...HSS do an airless for about 130/50 quid a day....plus the transformer...extra pipes..etc....

Can I offer a solution...how about doing just the front and maybe a side of the house this time?...from a scaffold...although i dont agree about the 'just for access' bit....if that was the case they wouldnt harndly exist....and hire shops shouldnt hire them out, knowing full well people will be working from them......or at least make people sign something first as a disclaimer....

Having said that.....are you confedent with a ladder?.....ive seem some horrendous sites....the sunday morning painter...the ladder either at almost 90 degrees or about 45 degrees.....with someone up there haging on for dear life!

If your pushing hard with a roller then you will need something decent as a platform...

The same goes for using an airless....the kick from the gun.....or a face full of paint could be enough to make you lose your balance..

Are you using the right type of roller?....the best one you can get is a rodo padded one...they are brillant for rough cast walls..

Dont bother with a brush......you'l end up with boxes all over the walls..

Im sorry...but i have to advise you you to forget the spray machine...go for a prodec/rodo roller sleeve....complete with arm they cost about 15 quid......oh and thin the first coat down by 25 % if its going onto bear walls.

Good luck.

Thanks for advice Zampa.

Speedy Hire have got a TS40 which seems quite compact, I can hire that for about £70 for 2 days.

I might look again at the rollers. I will look out for the one you mentioned, but if a brush can't get paint in the holes with hours of prodding then i'm not sure a roller will.

To moderator - sorry i never noticed the warning at the bottom of the post - noted now.

Dan.....just checked out the speedy hire site.....not much info on the spray machines....and have you noticed its the same blurb under nearly every item?

I dont know who make a ts40....so I cant really comment...i have used similar products from hire shops and found them insuficiant.

Im not trying to put you off.....but I really feel your going to be dissapointed.

You could always ask in the hire centre what they think you should use......that way if it doesnt work you may get your money back....

35 quid a day?.....although HSS is one of the dearest around.....they charge about 140 for a decent airless....thats what makes me wonder if the one your looking at is up to it.

The sleeves are available at your local dulux decorating centre....they have a single bar going through the centre attached to a yellowy orange handle....the sleeve itself is ten inches long and has a sponge layer to help cope with bumpy surfaces.....normally cost about 15 quid complete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back