Hive 2 Channel Wiring - Replace Danfoss TPOne-M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've moved into a new build house that has a Danfoss TPOne-M Electronic Programmable Room Thermostat with Domestic Hot Water Timer connected to an Ideal Logic Heat H18 Boiler. I would like to replace the TPOne-M with a Hive Dual Channel system. I'm happy to fit the Hive receiver at the location of the TPOne and although I appreciate that the Hive controller is wireless and could go anywhere, I am likely to fit it in the hall alongside the receiver. I believe I have worked out how to swap the wiring from the TPOne over to the Hive receiver but the colour coding of the existing wires is throwing me a bit and I don't want to risk damaging the boiler so would very much appreciate anyone's help in checking if my assumptions are correct.

Danfoss TPOne.jpg
Hive2Chan.JPG
TPOne-Conns.JPG

I have inserted images of the existing wiring on the back panel of the TPOne, along with the connection diagram for it, and the connection diagram for the Hive receiver.
With the attached in mind I am assuming that I should do the following:

Transfer the 1st brown wire currently connected to the TPOne "L"ive terminal to the Permanent Live of the Hive
Transfer the grey wire currently connected to the TPOne "N"eutral terminal to the Permanent Neutral of the Hive (this throws me as I would expect this wire to be blue?)
Transfer the blue wire currently connected to the TPOne "NO2" terminal to terminal 3 (Hot Water On) of the Hive (again I'm confused by this wire being blue?)
Transfer the brown wire currently connected to the TPOne "NO1" terminal to terminal 4 (Heating ON) of the Hive
Finally - As can be seen there is a link from the L terminal of the TPOne to the COM terminal. I think I have read on this forum that I wont need to replicate that link as this is effectively done within the Hive receiver when it receives relevant calls for heating and hot water but I'm not sure?
I will ignore the NC connections at terminals 1 & 2 of the Hive panel as these don't appear to have equivalents on the TPOne-M?

Please let me know if this seems correct or provide any comments if I have misunderstood anything.

Many thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Best regards
Shippo

Sponsored Links
That all sounds good to me. The blue / grey wire colours are a bit odd, but would have been chosen by the original installer. However; it is what the wires are connected to at each end that determines their function, not the colour of their insulation.

You are correct that you don't need connections to Hive 1 & 2. You are basically swapping a device with two on/off switches for another device with two on/off switches. So it's a like for like exchange as below:

Danfoss N = Hive N
Danfoss L = Hive L
Danfoss NO1 = Hive Heating on 4 (also marked NO)
Danfoss NO2 = Hive Hot Water on 3 (also marked NO)

As you also have figured, the live link is not required as the Hive dual channel version has it already made internally.

One of the channels is shown as being volt free......
upload_2020-11-9_16-52-17.png

In the Dual Hive both switch COMmons are connected internally tp Live

upload_2020-11-9_16-54-55.png

Attachments

• 0x56.jpg
    0x56.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 571
One of the channels is shown as being volt free......

Indeed, but that's irrelevant to the OP. His installation isn't voltage free, its linked to a 230V Live! Therefore the Hive Dual Channel is fine. As your diagram shows the link he requires is already made internally for him.

Capture.JPG

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Stem & Bernard for responding so quickly and so helpfully.
It's very much appreciated.
On that basis I'm happy to proceed as per my original thoughts.

Thanks again
Shippo

Just wanted to provide an update that I successfully installed the Hive system in line with the info above and it has been working fine for weeks. Thanks again to Stem & Bernard for replying and I hope the info proves useful to anyone else trying to replace a Danfoss TP-One.

You will have to staart your own post, you have hi-jacked a post against site rules and is not relevent to your set up, also it doesnt look like you have a combi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back