Changing danfoss tpONE-b with hive???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a new build and brought my multi zone hive from the previous house and finally got round to installing it albeit 11months down the line.

I have a danfoss tpone-m downstairs and that has been successfully changed. However the thermostat upstairs is battery powered tpone-b (see wire setup attached).

Does this mean there is no power there?

Thanks in advance!! First time poster

Attachments

• 20211207_172338.jpg
    20211207_172338.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
It means there’s live and switched wires. The others are there, so may need connecting at both ends.

Does this mean there is no power there?

Yes and no. As you have figured, the existing thermostat is battery powered whilst the Hive receiver is mains powered.

The heating control wires are a straight forward swap:

The brown wire in 'Com' would go to the Hive 'Common' (1)
The black wire in 'NO' would go to the Hive Heating on, also marked 'NO' (3)

You then need a 230V mains supply that is supplied via the same 3A fused connection unit that supplies the boiler and the rest of the heating system connecting to N & L

Usually Zoned systems utilise motorised valves, so I would expect the brown wire in COM to be a live, if so, that can be linked to (L) and then you will only need to add a neutral to (N) and as @CBW it looks like you have an unused blue wire that could be utilised for this purpose.

Are you going to mount the receiver on the wall where the current thermostat is? Usually the Hive thermostat goes there and the receiver is located in some inconspicuous place out of sight which is usually in a cupboard somewhere adjacent to the wiring centre where all of the wires you require would be available including the 230V supply.

There is a total legend on you tube called john ward who explains better than anyone else I have come across how to understand your heating system wiring and how to do a hive install on it. He is the man who will help you unpick what is going on.

Sponsored Links
I like to get the manuals for the kit i am wiring up and then draw out the circuit including the feed from the 240v supply.

Helps me understand it better and i find myself catching any clangers better (such as fuses. dp switching, etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back