Hive Active Heating 2 with Combi Boiler Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Hive 2 as per the title, and I wanted to install it myself, but after researching, youtube, here, google. I can't find any info where the combi they have is anything like what I have, so now I am panicking I will mess it up.

Could anyone possibly tell me the wiring I would need to do to make this work, based on the images below. If not I will have to get someone in, was just hoping to save some money.

Any help is appreciated, the part that concerned me is in the manual saying connecting 230v to the switch (5 and 6) will cause damage. I am presuming this is the switch I want so I maintain permanent hot water still, but I am unsure now if that is the voltage that will come out of the receiver wired into the plug/mains.

20171107_163920.jpg 20171107_164500.jpg 20171107_164610.jpg 20171107_164742.jpg

Again, any help would be really appreciated.

David

Sponsored Links
The Modena C HE is a Combi boiler, so control of the hot water is activated by you opening a tap. Fitting a Hive to the central heating will not change this.

The version of the Hive that you should have is the 'Single Channel' version for Combi Boilers. This version also has the isolated contacts to keep 230V away from the boilers switching circuits.

The connections for a remote thermostat [item 72] are shown below as terminal numbers 5 & 6 in this drawing from your boilers manual.

terminals.JPG

Remove the wire link from between the two terminals 5 & 6
Connect boiler terminal 5 to the Hive receiver terminal (1) 'common'
Connect boiler terminal 6 to the Hive receiver terminal (3) 'heating on'

These are isolated contacts and are supplied for boilers that don't use 230V for their switching circuits. Do not make any other connections to these terminals.

The Hive receiver still needs a 230V mains supply for its own operation. So, the Hive receivers 'Neutral' and 'Live' terminals will need to be connected to a 230V mains supply. Connection should be made to the boilers main 'Neutral' and 'Live' terminals respectively. They are boiler terminals 6 and 12 as shown below.

mains.JPG

When installation is complete, the boilers internal programmer should be set to have the central heating 'on' permanently. This allows the Hive to take full control of the heating and prevents the existing controls interfering with its operation.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is pretty much what I was thinking today, aside from I was going to connect the hive from a wire into the socket and not into the boiler.

Sorry one last thing, do I have to attach earth wire to anything?

Thank you again.
David

The boiler and Hive receiver should be fed from the same electrical supply. This is so that both are isolated together when being serviced.

The Hive doesn't actually need an earth connection, but as most cables contain an earth, it is provided with a 'tether' to allow an earth wire to be anchored out of the way rather than it just floating around. However, if the Hive back plate is mounted to a metal back box that is sunk into the wall, then the metal box should be earthed.

It is not good practice to use an earth wire for any other purpose than as an earth, so ideally you should use a 4 core and earth heat resistant cable to connect the receiver to the boiler wiring. Something like this. You can usually buy it by the meter from major DIY outlets.

Edit
Although not relevant when wiring the receiver to the boiler, I assume by
I was going to connect the hive from a wire into the socket and not into the boiler.
that when you were considering this, you meant via a plug or fused connection unit with a 3A fuse in and not wire it directly to the socket supply wiring!!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's great, thank you for clarifying.

I knew I couldn't wire it directly to the mains wiring. I had read somewhere else that I needed fused spur, so had intended to do that. Then keep the plug on the boiler plugged in as it is, but I will no do it the way you have instructed.

Thank you again for your help on this. I will update once done.

David

In the UK it's more usual for a boiler as a 'fixed appliance' to be supplied via a fused connection unit with 3A fuse fitted, rather than a plug and socket. Things can be a bit different on the other side of the channel and as Ferroli are an Italian company.....

Look forward to the update. It helps others that follow when searching for help with a similar installation.

It is not good practice to use an earth wire for any other purpose than as an earth, so ideally you should use a 4 core and earth heat resistant cable to connect the receiver to the boiler wiring. Something like this. You can usually buy it by the meter from major DIY outlets.

It's not just "not good practice", but it's strictly forbidden in multiple regulations to use green/yellow core for anything other than earth.

Earth must be maintained to every accessory, even if not needed as you say. This is in BS7671

it's strictly forbidden in multiple regulations to use green/yellow core for anything other than earth.
Indeed. However, those of us that live in the real world will know that a good percentage of heating installations including some by 'professionals' (not me though) do use earth wires for other purposes. Doesn't make it right of course, but it happens frequently.

Last edited:
Hi,

I had been away, so finally got round to doing this tonight. I can't thank you enough Stem, it worked perfectly, no issues and everything is doing what it should be. I now have voice (alexa) and app controlled heating.

Thank you again,
David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back