Hive Active Heating on Worcester 28 SI

sva

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Does anyone have any idea how easy (or hard) it would be to install Hive on a Worcester 28 SI?

I don't have any kind of wireless thermostat at the moment, just the digital timer on the boiler itself.

Just trying to gauge if I should just shell out for the paid install or not. I've had a google and found that people are installing generic thermostats but nothing about Hive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Much depends on the existing installation.

You say that you don't have an existing "wireless thermostat" already, but is there a traditional wired one?

For a combi boiler that has an existing wired thermostat, it can be simply a matter of replacing the existing thermostat with the Hive receiver. If it doesn't have an existing thermostat then the Hive would be connected directly to the boiler's electrical wiring terminals. If your 28 Si is as per the diagram below (this is from a manual I found, but there may have been changes to it over time) a single 3 core cable between the boiler and the Hive is all that is required. The existing timer would need to set to be permanently 'on' 24/7, thus allowing the Hive to take over control.

wiring.JPG

The problem is that many combi boilers have their wiring terminals inside a room sealed compartment, that should only be accessed by a RGI so that they can make the necessary checks to make sure that it is properly sealed up again, in which case this is not a DIY job.

If you do have an existing wired room thermostat, what make / model is it?

If you don't have an existing room thermostat, are the boiler's electrical terminals accessible without opening up a sealed compartment? Unfortunately I can't remember every make / model, so if you're not sure, say so and a RGI familiar with your boiler should be able to advise you.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
There's no thermostat with it at all, wired or wireless. I can only use the digital timer on the front of the boiler.

I can see a loom of wires going from the innards of the boiler that then plug into the timer, other than that I don't want to go poking around too much.

Best get an RGI then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back