Hive and hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Hive thermostat which controls the heating and hot water, before we had it fitted the hot water was technically on all day but must be controlled from some other source??? I now have the option to only have the hot water on for a select amount of time per day, I was wondering if I just have it coming on for 1 hour will that suffice please? We have a large storage tank for the HW, 2 showers, 1 bath! 3 bedroom with an old Ideal Standard FF boiler.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I found that heating the hot water for 15 mins was enough - but probably had a smaller tank and don't use much hot water.
I ended up leaving it off - just set the boost to 15 mins and boosted when I needed it.
I would think an hour would be enough to heat the tank - but I suspect once you start using the water it will mix and get cooler - so maybe a bath would cause problems. The good thing about hive is that it's easy to try different things. Maybe have a go at half an hour twice a day - or if you use a lot in the morning or evening then tailor it to that.
I find the main benefit of hive is being able to turn everything off when you go away and forget - and also to be able to turn things back on before you get back. And to check how hot your room is.

Going to set it to 2 x half hour stints and go from there, cheers pal

The difference in consumption between on all day and on twice a day, will depend upon how well insulated your storage tank is, assuming you don't use any. If it's well insulated unnecessary gas consumption will be minimal, so no reason not to leave it on all day, if the place is occupied.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you mean HW Cylinder, a storage tank is something completely different and is only insulated to prevent freezing

Thank you, but I am of course aware of that - I used the same description the op used, to avoid confusing him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back