Hive boiler control installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

BG Engineer came to install the Hive v2 (hot water and heating) and to my surprise on the boiler control added a back plate type thing? what is it? is it standard as I didnt see it on the list of items.

See pic (from web) its the thing on the wall that the controller plugs into.

It caused him much pain as it is larger than the given space to fit in

thanks

Attachments

• hive_heating.jpg
    hive_heating.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
You probably have a large opening in the wall. The Hive receiver is designed to mount on a single box, and probably wouldn't cover the larger opening. This will be his way of covering it.

Your lucky, when the BG engineer came to fit mine, he said their is a missing cable that controls the hot water off. Said he was unable to fit hive due to missing cable and left. I then read up and it appears hive receiver does not require an earth wire as its double insulated, thus with a little testing, the existing earth cable could have been resleeved and used as the cable for hot water off. He replaced the old timer/ programmer and left.

I then read up and it appears hive receiver does not require an earth wire as its double insulated, thus with a little testing, the existing earth cable could have been resleeved and used as the cable for hot water off.

He wouldn't have done it because:
1. Wiring regulations require an earth connection to be present at each accessory even if not required at the time. Makes things future proof.
2. It's not good practice to use an earth wire for any other purpose than as an earth.

If he had done what you suggest and bodged it you would have been happy, yet because he was only interested in doing a proper job you criticise him. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I was saying what happened on the day. He did not say anything more then you have a wire missing, I read that by using the earth wire and doing some tests, it is possible. This it said, was because hive would not need this earth wire. If the BG engineer had explained to me your points 1&2 above, I would have been better advised. My post was not to criticise him. I paid for the professional insulation, I have no intention of trying to fit it without and I have no wish to have a bodged job.

I was saying what happened on the day. He did not say anything more then you have a wire missing, I read that by using the earth wire and doing some tests, it is possible.

You read wrong. A green/yellow conductor may not be used for any other purpose even if it's sleeved. This is convered by the regs

btw: new user here... so may be dumb question
with this setup can i control some hive lights? I cannot see if this hub can help?

btw: new user here... so may be dumb question
with this setup can i control some hive lights? I cannot see if this hub can help?

This controller has nothing to do with Hive lights. However, as part of the package there should be a Hive Hub which is connected to your router. It is this that will control Hive lights, motion sensors etc etc

This controller has nothing to do with Hive lights. However, as part of the package there should be a Hive Hub which is connected to your router. It is this that will control Hive lights, motion sensors etc etc
ahh many thanks :)

a bit off topic, but a quickie this is running a gravity fed system with hot water storage tank. when the water is heating, the rads dont get too hot and the other way round. is this a common feature of this type of system?

a bit off topic, but a quickie this is running a gravity fed system with hot water storage tank. when the water is heating, the rads dont get too hot and the other way round. is this a common feature of this type of system?

Same as my setup. My diverter valve has 3 modes, hot water only, heating only & both. Sounds like yours is either faulty or not setup correctly. I'm not a plumber but yours should in theory have 3 modes the same as mine unless it has been installed differently (ie hot water only + heating only)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back