Hive help please - Wiring

M2M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to install the Hive Heating Single Channel receiver.

I currently have:
Worcester Combi Boiler Greenstar 24i Junior
Drayton Digistat 2 Thermostat

(Please see the Photos)

DSC_0329.JPG DSC_0341.JPG

The Thermostat is wired straight into the Boiler and only two wires are being used:

Common (brown wire)
Call For (black wire)

There is an un-used third wire (green wire) behind the plate, but currently not screwed in to the thermostat, I assume that may be the Satisfied?

My question is, can I simply install the Hive Receiver using the currently used two wires?
i.e. Common into Hive 1 / Call For into Hive 3 and potentially Green into Hive 2

I assume I still need some power to the Hive Receiver as the current Drayton Thermostat has batteries?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marco

Attachments

• DSC_0349.JPG
    DSC_0349.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,058
  • DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0351.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 957
  • HiveWiring.JPG
    HiveWiring.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,021
Sponsored Links
The two existing wires, would go to the terminals at the Hive that have the same function.

Common (brown wire)...Goes to Hive receiver 'Common' terminal (1)
Call For (black wire)...Goes to Hive receiver 'Heating On' terminal (3)

In addition, you also need a 230V supply to the Hive receiver Live (L) and Neutral (N) to provide it with its operating power. This should be connected to the boilers 230V supply so that the same fuse and switch supplies both the Boiler and the Hive receiver.

And that's it they are the only 4 connections you need.

The other wire is probably an earth which is not used. The Hive doesn't need an earth connection, so connect it to the Hive's Earth Tether which is provided to secure it safely out of the way. Under no circumstances connect it to any of the other Hive receiver terminals, if you do you risk causing some serious damage.

Last edited:
Hi Stem,

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

This is all new to me :) so I'll have to research how to do this:
"In addition, you also need a 230V supply to the Hive receiver Live (L) and Neutral (N) to provide it with its operating power. This should be connected to the boilers 230V supply so that the same fuse and switch supplies both the Boiler and the Hive receiver."

Let you know how I get along....

Thanks again,
Marco

Hi Stem,

Just a quick one, you mentioned the Hive should take its power from the same supply as the boiler, is there a particular reason for this?
I ask because there is a spare power socket to the right of the one the boiler uses (as seen in the photo) and wondering if I can take it from there.

Thanks,
Marco

Attachments

• DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0351.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
What you suggest would work of course, some boiler instructions stipulate that the same supply should be used for remote controls. However, it's good wiring practice, so that the same isolator turns off everything associated with the heating system, which means that the man who comes to repair your boiler and turns it off, doesn't get an electric shock because some wires coming into it are powered from elsewhere, in reality though with the way yours is wired, that wouldn't happen. Also, fixed appliances (ie not portable) should really be supplied from a fused connection unit and not via a plug and socket.

There are a couple of wiring terminals inside the Greenstar specifically for use to power remote controls, they are marked Ls (Live supply) and Ns (Neutral supply) You may find that there is a wire already in Ls, but that's OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back