Hive help...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I am looking to install Hive in my new flat. I have a pressurised non vented central heating/hot water system. A Potterton Promax 8L and a Danfoss TS2.

I have been told that the Hive system may not work by an engineer but I can’t seem to find anything conclusive. He said it was because you couldn’t separately control your hot water and heating and that Hive was for combination boilers.

British Gas are happy to fit it but I’m concerned it’s more because they’d install it on any gas boiler.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are two versions of the Hive available:

The single channel version is specifically for combi boilers. It only provides control of the central heating, the hot water works on demand, as and when a tap is opened.

The dual channel version has one channel to control the central heating and a second channel to control the heating of stored hot water (ie a hot water cylinder)

I'm not familar with a Potterton Promax 8L (do you mean SL?) I seem to recall that the Promax is available in both combi and heat only versions.

Hi - the signage on the boiler has rubbed off a bit, it’s the SL. It’s definitely not a combination boiler as there is a pressurised water cylinder in a cupboard.

Do you think this system will work with Hive?

Sponsored Links
Yes there are Promax heat only boilers working with Hive. With a heat only boiler, all the boiler does is provide a supply of hot water supply that is fed to the radiators and hot water cylinder by external controls and the Hive is not actually connected to the boiler at all. The Hive operates the external controls and they operate the boiler. You will need the dual channel version.

If you provide details of the type of heating system the boiler is connected to then someone will be able to advise further. The three most common types are:

1) S-Plan. This has at least 2 single port motorised valves each controlled by a thermostat. A room thermostat will control the central heating motorised valve and a cylinder thermostat will control the hot water motorised valve.

2) Y-Plan. This has one 3-port motorised valve that directs hot water from the boiler to the heating system and hot water cylinder as required

3) If the system is very old it may not have any motorised valves fitted, so may not allow the heating to operate without the hot water being on as well. Usually there is no thermostatic control of the hot water temperature with this type of system. [If by pressurised water cylinder you mean an unvented cylinder, then you won't have this type of system.]

There are other variants but they are not very common.

Thank you stem. I’ve confirmed that it’s an S-Plan system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back