Hive install help- district heating/HIU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install a Hive wireless stat in my new build flat. The current stat, a DanfossTP5000si, is fixed on the wall the other side of the HIU so constantly reads 23-25 degrees.

Just looking for some confirmation that it's possible to install a Hive and some help if so.

When removing the stat I was expecting to see a L N and SL but it seems that's not the case. There are NO and C connections instead. There is a 3 core running between the stat and boiler (only 2 cores used in current set up) which is something to be positive about.

As above, can I install a Hive wireless stat?

Attached are some pictures.

Any help is much appreciated.

Dan.

20191204_221651.jpg
20191204_222844.jpg

Sponsored Links
The brown and grey wires go to 1 & 3 on the single channel hive receiver but you will have to run a Permanent Live and Neutral to power the receiver, if you cant get a supply to their look at the nest E thermostst it is battery powered and would use the two existing wires

The brown and grey wires go to 1 & 3 on the single channel hive receiver but you will have to run a Permanent Live and Neutral to power the receiver, if you cant get a supply to their look at the nest E thermostst it is battery powered and would use the two existing wires

Thanks very much.

So the nest E has a battery powered receiver? Sounds ideal if so.

Thanks again.

Dan.

Sponsored Links

I can get a permanent supply to the receiver no problem so I'm going with the cheaper Hive option.

Couple of things I want to check before I go a head with the purchase. As I have a HIU/dictrict heating am I correct in thinking I need the Hive stat/receiver for combi boiler (915HG) as opposed to the stat/receiver for conventional boiler (550HG). And once installed this won't affect my hot water on demand as it currently is?

Thanks.

Yes hive for combi (single channel) as opposed to dual channel.

I can get a permanent supply to the receiver no problem so I'm going with the cheaper Hive option.

Couple of things I want to check before I go a head with the purchase. As I have a HIU/dictrict heating am I correct in thinking I need the Hive stat/receiver for combi boiler (915HG) as opposed to the stat/receiver for conventional boiler (550HG). And once installed this won't affect my hot water on demand as it currently is?

Thanks.
yes as per @The Novice , you need the single channel for a combi boiler, it will not affect your HW on demand

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thank you guys. Hive installed and works perfectly. I mentioned it to my neighbour over the weekend and they asked if it was possible to get their Google Nest Learning working with the HIU. All I could find on YouTube were US versions saying not compatible with 230V. Is it possible?

you can use the UK nest with district heating, but the US one wont work

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
you can use the UK nest with district heating, but the US one wont work

I did a bit more digging this evening and my understanding was it's similar to the Hive. The Google Learning also needs a permanent L&N, then C to 2, NO to 3. Think I'm starting to actually understand it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back