Hive install to replace Danfoss system with HIU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to this, but I'm learning fast...

I would like to upgrade my current 2 zone heating system to Hive.

The current system runs off a district heat network to the flats with a heating interface unit in the flat. I have two HPA2 zone valves, two RET230P room stats and a TS715 single channel timeswitch controlling everything.

I want to replace with 2 single zone hive receivers/stats. I expected this to be a relatively straight forward swap of the TS715 and the 2 Hive receivers - but when I saw the cabling I was very confused.

I've seen a number of wiring diagrams but I'm still not sure the best way to go about it.

If anyone is able to talk me through, or just give some advice I'd appreciate it. I can upload pics of the wiring centre etc if that would be useful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The existing thermostat wiring should be as per the diagram below from the RET230P installation instructions.

Capture.JPG

For each thermostat, it's then a matter of moving the wires from each of the RET230P terminal, to the corresponding terminal at the new Hive receiver which carries out the same function. It's quite easy in this instance as they have the same descriptions.

upload_2017-11-20_8-49-46.png

RET230P (N) = Hive (N)
RET230P (L) = Hive (L)
RET230P (1) 'On' NO = Hive 'Heating On' NO. Terminal (3)
RET230P (3) Com = Hive Common, Terminal (1)

If your RET230P has the link between L and 3 (shown dotted in the RET230P diagram) then that will need to be retained between the Hive (L) and Hive Common, Terminal (1).

Finally the TS715 will need to be set to have the heating permanently 'on' to prevent it interfering with the Hive thermostats and let them take full control. Or alternatively, if you can do so safely, it can be removed by disconnecting and isolating the L and N wires. Then the wires going to its switching terminals Com (1) and NO (4) connected together. Refer to the diagram below for assistance.

TS715 Programmer Wiring
Capture2.JPG

You don't mention any hot water control, so I have assumed this is separate and not controlled by the TS715.

BTW You might want to consider the Hive Multizone Kit, which is designed for properties with two or more zones. That way you would only need one Hive Hub instead of two.

Thanks for this. Really useful. I hadn't considered just directly replacing the old room stats with the hive receivers. One of the receivers would be in the bedroom... are the lights on the receiver very bright?

My original plan was to hide the receivers in the utility cupboard and place the Hive thermostats where the old thermostats were.

To do this would I just identify the cables from the stats back in the wiring center and then disconnect these and wire in the two receivers into the same blocks? I think I will leave the TS715 timeswitch in place and setup as you suggested - much easier.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say that the lights were particularly bright, but I have never been in a darkened room with one. I suppose that in that situation they could be considered bright.

As you suggest, you could trace the wires back, and wire the receivers into the wiring centre, and probably that is actually what I would do. I always suggest the simplest way, because it is hard to judge a persons level of competence over an 'on line' forum and many folks also seem to have a reluctance to tracing cables.

Another alternative, would be to remove the existing thermostats and extend the cable to a new location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back