Hive install hot water valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've come asking some advise on my hive install, installation went ok, traced thermostat wires back to central box an disconnected heating side off things works fine,but the water would not work the boiler didn't kick in, so after a bit off testing with a multimeter, block 3 when turned on became live, so I moved the brown from the water valve from block 5 which comes from the water tank to block 3 and this seams to work, just not sure if it's correct
20181211_174331.jpg
20181211_180718.jpg

Attachments

• 20181211_181714.jpg
    20181211_181714.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry no idea - my crystal ball isn't working at the moment :mrgreen:
Is this S-Plan, Y-Plan, something else ? What wires go where ?
Looking at what's there, it does look like an S-Plan system with 2 zone valves. From the description, it sounds like terminal 5 is the thermostat switched live from the tank stat - and that is where the valve brown wire should be connected to. When you say "switched on", I'm assuming that when you set the timer to on for the hot water, terminal 3 is live ? But that's only a guess - you'd have to trace the wires and work out what's connected to where to be sure.
Disconnecting the room stat should not affect the hot water on an S-Plan system - if it does then either it's miswired, or you've dislodged/disconnected something you shouldn't have.

Is the valve for the heating system connected to terminal 6 ? If so, then what is connected to the right hand side of that terminal ?

20181210_143352.jpg
20181130_180106.jpg
20181210_143440.jpg
20181210_143432.jpg
Hi SimonH2 sorry for the lose description i believe it is an Splan
Above is the wiring before I started.ill take a look at the wiring and reply

Attachments

• 20181210_143425.jpg
    20181210_143425.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 209
Yes Simon in my first post all the wires to the left comes from the heating and water valves, the wires that's been removed on the right I've traced them back to the thermostat that I've removed the hive heating worked fine once installed, but the water when on did show green on the hive receiver but the boiler would not turn on, the brown from the water valve was connected to block 5 that goes directly through the wall were the tank is but when I called for water only block 3 becomes live , from the wiring diagram s I've looked at some off the wiring seams off

Sponsored Links
2 brown wires originally in block 4 one from wired thermostat that has been removed, the other from programmer was moved to block 6 were the brown heating valve wire is on left, this was originally the switch wire from wired thermostats

a. where is the cylinder thermostat connected
b. if the cylinder was hot, the thermostat on it will prevent the boiler from working.
c. on S plan, heating and hot water are entirely separate items, changing the wiring for one should not affect the other.

... the hive heating worked fine once installed, but the water when on did show green on the hive receiver but the boiler would not turn on, the brown from the water valve was connected to block 5 that goes directly through the wall were the tank is but when I called for water only block 3 becomes live , from the wiring diagram s I've looked at some off the wiring seams off
The hot water should be completely independent of the Hive - or does the Hive also control the hot water ?
To get any further, you'll need to draw out the connections on a sheet of paper - then it should become obvious what's wrong.

Thanks all for the help, after tracing the wires back I relised that brown from the water valve should have remained in block 5, just wasn't giving the tank thermostat time to send a request back to open the water value, all's working great now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back