Hive installation on Potterton Promax HE Store

Sponsored Links
Having looked at the instructions, it incorporates a store for hot water, So you would need the hot water set to on to have hot water delivery. Although it’s a combi, it doesn’t mention running a tap to get hot water?

Attachments

• 0B7278E3-5653-477E-94A7-7D7DFA2F6661.jpeg
    0B7278E3-5653-477E-94A7-7D7DFA2F6661.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 50
I think the only thing I need to do is rewire as it was originally but then feed the 2 wires from wired thermostat to Hive and supply power to hive. Every other change seems unnecessary?

Perhaps do that then, let me know how you get on (y)

Sponsored Links
you have got it wrong , you say you have 2 zones, so you will need 2 x single channel hives, and keep the origional programmer set to CH constantly on (24hr) and the hives will over ride it, you control the HW from the origional programmer

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have 2 zones and both the thermostats have the issues as described above and the wiring is the same at the thermostat.

you have got it wrong , you say you have 2 zones, so you will need 2 x single channel hives, and keep the origional programmer set to CH constantly on (24hr) and the hives will over ride it, you control the HW from the origional programmer

Perhaps that’s where I went wrong, I made an assumption based on both thermostats have the issues, that indeed x2 hives were installed :notworthy:

Yes. I have 2 single channel receivers. Sorry I assumed the photo of Hive backplate would have shown it was single channel.

The old wiring with original wired thermostat worked fine. I assume the only thing that was required to switch to hive was disconnect the 2 wires from thermostat and feed those into hive and supply hive mains power. However, the plumber appears to have jiggled some wires about that weren't necessary and left out only 1 pair of wires presumably from one of the thermostats.

As for hot water, yes that works still. The CH won't come on unless I switch HW to off and then have to cycle the CH setting to off and then on again (which then responds to Hive (or even the switch on zone valve which effectively does the same thing). On thing i did note though is that the Hive will activate zone valve but not switch on CH. So the switch on valve calling for CH is on yet CH on boiler is not activating unless I switch off HW and then go on CH settings to off and then to on.

Yes. I have 2 single channel receivers. Sorry I assumed the photo of Hive backplate would have shown it was single channel.
yes but you only showed one and not 2, in your pic of one of the origional thermostats the wire colours are black and brown, but in the new one they are grey and brown, where did they change ?

As far as I can tell. The old thermostat was basically disconnected. The new 5 core wire was fed into the boiler terminal block.

yes but you only showed one and not 2, in your pic of one of the origional thermostats the wire colours are black and brown, but in the new one they are grey and brown, where did they change ?

I think his plumber did it.

I think his plumber did it.
Both wall plates have exact same wiring so didn't want tu duplicate on post.

Both original thermostats also had the same coloured wires (brown cover on black wire).

What do the wires from original thermostat relate to? Why is the black wrapped in brown tape? Is it to exemplify it is acting as the brown wire i.e. the thermostat in effect is linking these wires and making a formal connection like a switch/intermediate junction?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
sleeving a black wire with a brown sleevi is to indicate that the wire is a live wire, but again the old set up is black and brown and the new set up is grey and brown, so where does this change take place ?

I have no idea what this plumber did apart from take the money for installation! The only thing I have for comparison are the before and after pics of the terminal block. The connections to Hive plate are new anyhow it seems.

Can someone explain what the original thermostat black (brown sleeved) wire and brown wire represent? Where would these normally be connected? Do these go into the Hive terminal and if so which 2 points should this be?

I have a suspicion the original thermostat actually controlled the on/off for the zone valve and it is the zone valve wiring which controlled central heating (after switch was activated).

Can someone explain what the original thermostat black (brown sleeved) wire and brown wire represent?
Live in and switched out, Common and call at Hive.
I have a suspicion the original thermostat actually controlled the on/off for the zone valve and it is the zone valve wiring which controlled central heating (after switch was activated).
This is how it’s supposed to operate and be wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back