Hive question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I took advantage of the Hive Black Friday offer and bought a Hive active heating with installation. BG came to fit but couldn't fit it as I have a Honeywell CM0970 controlling heating ( cable live and neutral only) and a Drayton LP522 controlling water he said I need multizone but I dont want a receiver and thermostat on the wall in my kitchen. \
My question is can the wiring be altered so I just have 1 receiver in the airing cupboard where the Drayton is without adding new cabling.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don’t understand why you would need multi zone, do you currently have more than one zone? My understanding is the lp522 would be replaced by the Hive receiver, joint the Honeywell wiring together and use the Hive thermostat for heating and hot water control.

I bought a dual channel, only one zone. I'm going on what then BG engineer told me when they cancelled the install. Will the Honeywell go back to the boiler to connect together

Sponsored Links
Sorry , will the Honeywell live and neutral wire go back to the boiler to be able to joint the wiring

Your boiler will have a switched live demand, neutral, and (hopefully) earth. You need to access your wiring centre in the airing cupboard to fit your Hive

I don’t think it’s a neutral, I think it’s switched live, but it’ll be connected back to the boiler, but you can just link them where they are, safely of course, or they can be disconnected altogether at wall and wiring center.

Think were at crossed purposes , the BG guy said the Honeywell in the kitchen which did the heating had a live and neutral not a live and switched live to link out. LP522 is in the airing cupboard , will it need new wires running

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sorry, I obviously didn’t read and understand it properly, thought the LP522 was in kitchen. Yes as per @muggles you will need to install receiver in wiring cupboard, but I would have thought you can still use wiring at LP522. As for the Honeywell I still think it’ll be live and switched. However if it’s going to be in the airing cupboard, then I would think the wiring could be changed easily enough to remove the wiring for Honeywell and run a new section to motorised valve.

your existing thermostat does not have a neutral just because the wire is blue or black does not mean it is a neutral, you have a live and a swtched live, the BG lad is talking shoite, as long as you have the dual channel it is a doddle to fit

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Quite a bit of what you say doesn't make sense, But I believe with some clarification it may be an easy install, but if so I don't understand why BG couldn't install it. So maybe having seen the installation personally there's something they saw that changes it.

I have a Honeywell CM0970 controlling heating ( cable live and neutral only)
I'm not aware of this product, do you mean a CM907? If so it is a battery operated thermostat, and doesn't require a live and neutral. As @ianmcd says, there are only two connections to terminals A & B, but they will be a 'live' and a 'switched live'. Maybe someone has used a blue or black wire for one of them and you have assumed it's a neutral?

and a Drayton LP522 controlling water.
This is odd. A Drayton LP522 is designed to control the central heating as well as hot water.

Capture.JPG

So it would be unusual to install one of these just for hot water control. Is the heating part connected to anything? Is the heating it set to be 'on' 24/7, and if so, what happens when you switch the heating part off? Does the heating go off even if the CM907 is calling for heat? If so, then the heating wiring is also connected here and a swap for Hive would be easy, like for like and the existing thermostat wiring simply bridged to complete the circuit.

I don't want a receiver and thermostat on the wall in my kitchen
A kitchen is one place that a thermostat should never be located, unless you never intend to cook in there. As soon as any cooking takes place, off goes the central heating to the whole house. The receiver can be located there for convenience, if that happens to be where the existing wires are located, and the wireless / battery operated thermostat would be located somewhere sensible

can the wiring be altered so I just have 1 receiver in the airing cupboard where the Drayton is without adding new cabling.
Thanks

The Hive Dual Channel version controls the central heating and the hot water from a single device. So, if the wires for the heating and hot water are located at the Drayton LP522, then the wires you need will already be there. If on the other hand, only the hot water wiring is connected to the Drayton in the airing cupboard, and the room thermostat is elsewhere the wiring that presently goes to the room thermostat will need re-directing to the airing cupboard.

Once you have provided the additional info a more definitive answer can be given.

Last edited:
Fat finger syndrome its a CM907 controlling the heating in the kitchen, the LP522 controls the hot water only fitted in the airing cupboard.
The LP522 was fitted by our boiler people when the old one failed I think he didn't have a single one on his van so fitted the LP522
it was the BG guy that said the cm907 was live and neutral not live and switched live.
The thermostat is going in the kitchen as my wife doesn't want it anywhere else and its not worth the argument
The kit we ordered was a dual channel
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back