Hive question

I agree with @stem there is no reason why any installer can not install Hive with details you have given. So looking at what is missed, switching 24 volt not 230 volt for example. Hive duel channel only works with 230 volt. Does not matter who the installer works for, if he can't install it, then the question is why?

BG guy that said the cm907 was live and neutral not live and switched live.

That does not make sense, if it worked then it needs to switch something, seems more likely the reverse, sure he did not say it's line and switched line, and there is no neutral.

Sponsored Links
to let you understand, the Hive doesnt directly control the boiler, you will have some kind of zone control, either a 3 port valve or some two port valves, the Hive controls these, and they in turn control the boiler and pump, you will have a wiring centre, the hive receiver gets wired in to that, and the 552 and CM907 get removed and your wife can have the hive thermostat anywhere she wants it is battery powered doesnt need any wires

Thanks , I will get an electrician I know in to sort it out. The BG guy deffo said its a live and neutral not live and live switched and thats why he couldn't fit it.
First experience and not a good one tbh.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
First experience of BG and not a good one tbh.
sadly a very common story, there are lots of engineers who could wire this in their sleep, but many who have absolutely no clue what it does or how it works, it is two switches nothing else

The BG guy deffo said its a live and neutral not live and live switched and that's why he couldn't fit it.

If he said that it's incorrect....However; if he said that he couldn't fit the Hive there because there 'isn't a live and neutral present' that would be correct.

The LP522 was fitted by our boiler people when the old one failed I think he didn't have a single one on his van
A bit unprofessional! (not BG again! :)) But if that's the case and the LP522 only has water control connected to it, then unfortunately the wiring for the LP522 and CM907 thermostat will need consolidating and bringing together at the Hive receiver.

The thermostat is going in the kitchen
Installing a smart stat in a poor position is a bit like buying a Ferrari and then using it as a golf cart. Putting a thermostat in a sensible position so that it can do its job properly is far more important that having the latest tech IMHO.

The Hive Stat is wireless so can be located in the most suitable location easily. So, here's the low down on the best stat location:

1. The room thermostat should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, or direct sunlight etc. It should not be somewhere drafty or too close to a window, especially if it's one that is opened in the winter.

2. It should be in a cool room, ideally the last room to warm up. That way the other rooms will be warm enough, (but not overheated if fitted with TRV’s) before the room thermostat switches the entire heating system off. [To achieve this, sometimes it may involve downsizing a radiator in the room where the room stat is located]

3. The radiator in the room with the thermostat installed should not have a TRV fitted. Otherwise the TRV could interfere with the operation of the room thermostat and prevent it from working properly.

4. The thermostat should be mounted about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

5. Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if the property has well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial.)

6. It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not in a corner, or hidden behind curtains, or furniture.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
To be fair, a BG engineer fitted our Hive system and, apart from one omission, it works perfectly. I should also add that he fitted a retaining bracket on our boiler flue (it's in the garage) F.O.C.

The omission? Well, the Hive system worked well except for an occasional loss of signal. I contacted Hive and, after I had explained the layout of our house, they assured me that the engineer should have fitted a booster. That, too, should have been F.O.C. So they sent me one (again F.O.C.). Easy to install: just plug in to a conveniently located socket.

• Thanks
Well electrician has been and wired up the Hive using the wiring centre and there was 230v going to the Honeywell CM907 , I dont know why but at least it ok now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back