HIVE Thermostat with Firebird Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All.

Earlier this year the Controller/Timer packed in (Honeywell?) on our Combi Boiler.

I replaced it with a Hive Wireless controller.

Thinking back, I dont think i ever tested the heating when i fitted it since the hot water worked perfectly fine,

but turning the heating on this morning didn't work, The controller shows the heating as "on". But the heating is physically not working and i cannot figure out why. Both the old wiring panel and the hive panel had 6 poles with the same markings so i wired the hive into the same poles.

Some searching found some others with similar issues regarding the thermostat for the boiler. We do not have an external thermostat so can only assume theres one inside the boiler.

The heating has always been either "on or off".

312598058_1156615845229767_7795950210255731816_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
1&3 are the correct wiring, show a pic of what they are connected to at the other end, is it definately a single channel hive and not a dual channel hive ?

Yes, Single. We do not have separate control for the water.

Yes, Single. We do not have separate control for the water.
No the HW is always on unless you switch the boiler off, your hw is controlled via a flow switch within the boiler, when a hot tap is opened the boiler senses it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It could be a red herring, in that the Hive is fine and the fault is elsewhere.

I assume you have checked the settings on the boiler in that heating is selected and the heating thermostat isn't switched off.

No the HW is always on unless you switch the boiler off, your hw is controlled via a flow switch within the boiler, when a hot tap is opened the boiler senses it.
Sorry, yes that's exactly how the hot water works.

This is the other end of the cable into the boiler.

Attachments

• 312309490_509304594584366_7077003216263407451_n.jpg
    312309490_509304594584366_7077003216263407451_n.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 75
It could be a red herring, in that the Hive is fine and the fault is elsewhere.

I assume you have checked the settings on the boiler in that heating is selected and the heating thermostat isn't switched off.
The only, single setting on the boiler, is im assuming the thermostat for the radiators. Its a very simple little boiler.

Could it be the internal thermostat over riding the stat in the HIVE Unit?

This is the other end of the cable into the boiler.
in this pic remove the link at room thermostat, one terminal to 1 on hive the other to 3 on hive doesnt matter which way round, remove the link you made between 1&L on hive , make no links and remove wherever you have wired the hive into already , N&L remain the same

in this pic remove the link at room thermostat, one terminal to 1 on hive the other to 3 on hive doesnt matter which way round, remove the link you made between 1&L on hive , make no links and remove wherever you have wired the hive into already , N&L remain the same
So just to clarify, Move the links both ends?

(These links were present when i removed the old Honeywell unit)

I Removed the links at the plug at the boiler end and removed the link in the HIVE wiring on the wall. Heating still not wanting to play. Hot water works fine still.

Could it be the internal thermostat over riding the stat in the HIVE Unit?
Not really, the Hive just switches the heating on and off to maintain the set air temperature in the room.

The boiler thermostat maintains the set temperature of the water circulating around the radiators (ie how hot they get to the touch when they are on) Some boiler thermostats have an 'off' position that turns the heating off completely. In the 'off' position it would stop the Hive turning the heating on.

If you haven't changed anything at the boiler end when you installed Hive and assuming it worked with the previous controls, put the wiring back as it originally was when the old thermostat was installed. What happens then if you move the black wire on the Hive backplate from 3 and put it in 1 with the brown link wire already there? If it works then, the Hive is faulty.

if you have a timer on the boiler you will have to set it to constantly on

if you have a timer on the boiler you will have to set it to constantly on
so the hive is a simple on/off switch based upon room temperature. The hot water is on and cuts out when desired temp is reached. You suggest that you increase gas consumption by heating water 24/7?
silly billy advice that bonny lad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back