HIVE Thermostat with Firebird Combi

Sponsored Links
Not really, the Hive just switches the heating on and off to maintain the set air temperature in the room.

The boiler thermostat maintains the set temperature of the water circulating around the radiators (ie how hot they get to the touch when they are on) Some boiler thermostats have an 'off' position that turns the heating off completely. In the 'off' position it would stop the Hive turning the heating on.

If you haven't changed anything at the boiler end when you installed Hive and assuming it worked with the previous controls, put the wiring back as it originally was when the old thermostat was installed. What happens then if you move the black wire on the Hive backplate from 3 and put it in 1 with the brown link wire already there? If it works then, the Hive is faulty.
So doing this didnt work either. The Central Heating light stays illuminated on the the board but nothing happens other than that. If i disconnect the loop from either end the Central Heating light goes off.

Checked the pump and its free and appears like it should be working. Im stumped...
I might order another of the old unit that was on it before and see what the crack is

Disconnect the hive switching wires from the boiler, and put the brown link back in, put a link from Live to the CH sw live, does the ch come on now?

Sponsored Links
I might order another of the old unit that was on it before and see what the crack is

Moving the wire from 3 to 1 as I described physically 'hard wired' the connections. So, if that didn't work, replacing the 'old unit' with another one won't work either. All that the controllers do is connect terminals 1 & 3 together when they switch 'on'. Moving the wire replicated that.

Doing that likewise showed the problem isn't with the Hive.

Last edited:
Moving the wire from 3 to 1 as I described physically 'hard wired' the connections. So, if that didn't work, replacing the 'old unit' with another one won't work either. All that the controllers do is connect terminals 1 & 3 together when they switch 'on'. Moving the wire replicated that.

Doing that likewise showed the problem isn't with the Hive.
Okay, understood.... So something else is the problem here. Best start trouble shooting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back