Hive to Potterton 28 wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Can you please advise me if my wiring diagram looks correctly? I've ordered few days ago Hive without installation and from what I've gathered that seems how it should be looking like, but I would ideally need confirmation from somebody that knows better then my very amateurish skills.

That's from electric schema on the boiler and how it looks inside:
upload_2020-4-19_14-22-14.png

upload_2020-4-19_14-23-3.png

My current external thermostat that's probably hooked up to 1 & 2 on terminal block(?):
upload_2020-4-19_14-24-11.png

Front of the boiler(just in case):
upload_2020-4-19_14-26-8.png

And finally schema I came with:
upload_2020-4-19_14-26-28.png

I'm not sure if I should hard wire Common and Heating off on Hive(the lime connection)?
And I presume I should disconnect 1&2 from terminal block that would be my current external thermostat? Should I wire Earth to Hive as well?
Does that look ok?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Sponsored Links
No you have got it wrong you need a live and neutral to the hive receiver and the two wires in your existing thermostat go to 1 and 3 on the hive, doesnt matter which way round, no earth needed and dont make any links

So that would make it look more like it?
upload_2020-4-19_14-55-22.png

Live & Neutral coming from external source? No earth, no links.
Do I take off the current cables from left of the terminal block(1&2) that I presume is that external thermostat(boiler is in the kitchan and thermostat is couple meters away and wiring goes not a clue where in the walls) which is not going to be used anymore?

You don’t need the lime link wire, everything appears ok, you can piggyback the Live and Neutral from boiler, and 230v to common and switch live back (dark green and yellow) respectively on original schematic.

Sponsored Links
You don’t need the lime link wire, everything appears ok, you can piggyback the Live and Neutral from boiler, and 230v to common and switch live back (dark green and yellow) respectively on original schematic.

Cool. That's what I was hoping for. Will not put lime link wire in. And piggybacking Live & Neutral from boiler seems like an easy-win.
Two questions over here though.
1) ianmcd says that's wrong, like I've mentioned I'm amateurish so I was wondering why was that?
2) I presume that I take off the current cables from left of the terminal block(1&2) that I think go to current thermostat?

Cool. That's what I was hoping for. Will not put lime link wire in. And piggybacking Live & Neutral from boiler seems like an easy-win.
Two questions over here though.
1) ianmcd says that's wrong, like I've mentioned I'm amateurish so I was wondering why was that?
2) I presume that I take off the current cables from left of the terminal block(1&2) that I think go to current thermostat?
What you are fitting is a simple switch, the receiver needs a supply to power it, the switching part is simply on/ off nothing complicated

What you are fitting is a simple switch, the receiver needs a supply to power it, the switching part is simply on/ off nothing complicated

Ah. Sorry I thought that by saying it's wrong you've said it's all wrong, my mistake.
I will then patiently wait till it arrive and hook it up like on 1st diagram, minus the lime link.

Do I remove those additional cables 1&2 from terminal block?

Ah. Sorry I thought that by saying it's wrong you've said it's all wrong, my mistake.
I will then patiently wait till it arrive and hook it up like on 1st diagram, minus the lime link.

Do I remove those additional cables 1&2 from terminal block?
you need L&N to power the unit and it is switched between 1 & 3 simple as that , it is not rocket science, it is a very smart switch but that is down to the unit not you

Yeah but I can hook it up to the L&N from the boiler right(as on the schema)? That's what I was hoping and seems like @Chris_W confirmed.

upload_2020-4-20_18-36-12.png

Just dropping off final cleaned schema that I'm going to go with for the people that will be potentially looking at this thread. Thanks for all your help.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi
Can some one advise me on my wiring, the 1st 2 pictures are from my old system and the last picture is how I've connected it to the hive system. The hot water is working but the central heating isn't.
thanks
Firstly, you've posted on an old thread. It's always best to start your own.

Secondly, and I would normally give benefit of the doubt, but how on earth did you decide that the wiring to the Hive should go like that?
Have the wires just been shoved in at random?

EDIT:
Apologies to the poster, I may have put them off.
To be fair, the original wiring had unsleeved blue and green/yellow wires acting as switched lives.
Losing track of the wires would be confusing.

However the connections on the old controller were near identical to the Hive (excluding an extra live terminal 5).
The wiring should have been (more or less) a straight swap.

Instead, a blue wire that was a neutral appeared to be connected to a switched live terminal and a green/yellow that was a switched live was bunched with the earth wires.

My question about how you decided on the wiring layout was legitimate, if curt. If we can understand the reason this path was taken, we may be able to help others better in the future.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back