Hive vs Wave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for opinions on whether it's worth fitting a Worcester wave controller as I'm about to have a W.B. 29cdi classic combi boiler fitted. The old boiler is connected to a hive controller which works great but the wave apparently has more sophisticated control over the boiler. It will also extend the boiler warranty by two years if I have it fitted but I'm not sure if its worth the extra expense so I'm looking for some informed opinion please.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm looking for opinions on whether it's worth fitting a Worcester wave controller as I'm about to have a W.B. 29cdi classic combi boiler fitted. The old boiler is connected to a hive controller which works great but the wave apparently has more sophisticated control over the boiler. It will also extend the boiler warranty by two years if I have it fitted but I'm not sure if its worth the extra expense so I'm looking for some informed opinion please.

Intergas gas boiler & migenie controls;
http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/mi-genie/

Thanks for your reply. That looks superb but I've settled on the Worcester, price and install date agreed so its really got to be whether its worth my paying extra to get the wave as its supposed to make the boiler work slightly more efficiently.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply but I already have the hive fitted so it's real between that and Worcester's own control which apparently has more sophisticated control over the boiler.

Then take a look at the ATAG IC Economiser range and it's ONE Controller system, before you make your purchase. I personally don't like Worcester Bosch's boiler engineering, nor do many installers I know, and on this forum!

@Driver123 Your first name isn't Kevin is it by chance? Married to Tracy? Just a weird hunch I have had when I saw your locale!

Coz, if so... You might be family!!!

You're not going to get much praise for Woofter from the pro's on here I'm afraid... Wave is a bit more sophisticated but do you need the extra sophistication? It's not going to pay for itself

You're not going to get much praise for Woofter from the pro's on here I'm afraid... Wave is a bit more sophisticated but do you need the extra sophistication? It's not going to pay for itself

Yes I think you are probably right. Apparently the wave uses weather data to use a more economical setting during mild weather. I would also get two more years guarantee but then I would already get eight years cover. So unless it breaks down a couple of times between 2024 and 2026 I will probably never be better off. Also the Hive has never skipped a beat so I will probably stick with that.

Go for the Wave. Far cleverer than Hive (not that this is a great accolade).

For the £200 or so you are also getting full WB warranty in years 9 & 10, which are when any combi starts costing money.

I am one of vocal minority on here who think Worcester make good products and look after their customers.

Over 300,000 other households agree with me each year: a figure ATAG (now owned by Ariston) or Intergas would struggle to meet 10% of, between them in the UK.

You just need to run a cable between the boiler and the wave. Its not a wireless system in that sense although obviously you control the unit from your phone app. Also, you'll need worcesters integral diverter valve fitted as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back