Hive vs Wave

Thanks for the further replies. I'm still undecided. Do any posters use the wave thermostat? I'm wondering how consistent it is particularly if for instance, you try turning on the heating whilst away from home? Hive is pretty well 100% reliable.

Sponsored Links
If it ain't broke...

Your posts read as if you are perfectly happy with the Hive and are looking for someone to convince you otherwise and to go with the Wave!

In my opinion, The former is a standalone product and will be continually developed and improved by the manufacturer, as the main focus of their business.
The latter is an associated product developed for WB first and foremost, with the end user playing second fiddle.

Unless you're planning to still be in the property in 10 years time, then the warranty shouldn't figure in your decision.

Go with your gut feeling... It's usually right ;)

If it ain't broke...

Your posts read as if you are perfectly happy with the Hive and are looking for someone to convince you otherwise and to go with the Wave!

In my opinion, The former is a standalone product and will be continually developed and improved by the manufacturer, as the main focus of their business.
The latter is an associated product developed for WB first and foremost, with the end user playing second fiddle.

Unless you're planning to still be in the property in 10 years time, then the warranty shouldn't figure in your decision.

Go with your gut feeling... It's usually right ;)

You are right I can't make up make up my mind and am looking for someone to hold my hand and make the decision for me :). We will almost certainly be in the property in 10 years time so might regret not having the extra guarantee. Also the wave should save a little on our heating. Think I will end up just tossing a coin :). Thanks for your reply.

Go for the Wave. Far cleverer than Hive (not that this is a great accolade).

For the £200 or so you are also getting full WB warranty in years 9 & 10, which are when any combi starts costing money.

I am one of vocal minority on here who think Worcester make good products and look after their customers.

Over 300,000 other households agree with me each year: a figure ATAG (now owned by Ariston) or Intergas would struggle to meet 10% of, between them in the UK.

Plastic fantastic!! When I started my time in the early 70s S, we bolted together sectional boilers & were proper Heating Engineers. Now, you seriously expect me to rate these piles of plastic poo??!!

Sponsored Links
If you want to use Wave through your mobile device, have a look at the app before purchasing. I notice the Wave app on iOS hasn't been updated since March 2015, and seems to have very mixed reviews, and the fix implemented in March 2015 was to let people use a calendar which wasn't 2014!!!

If you want to use Wave through your mobile device, have a look at the app before purchasing. I notice the Wave app on iOS hasn't been updated since March 2015, and seems to have very mixed reviews, and the fix implemented in March 2015 was to let people use a calendar which wasn't 2014!!!

Thanks for that. I have downloaded the app on to my android device. It doesn't look quite as nice as the hive app but its hard to judge just how good it is from a demo. The android reviews are also mixed although nothing to really put me off. The only thing I have noticed on the demo that I really don't like is that you can only set up four timer settings as opposed to six with the hive. I have five set up at present but I think I could probably change that to four without causing much of a problem.

For the £200 or so you are also getting full WB warranty in years 9 & 10, which are when any combi starts costing money.

I am one of vocal minority on here who think Worcester make good products and look after their customers.

Over 300,000 other households agree with me each year: a figure ATAG (now owned by Ariston) or Intergas would struggle to meet 10% of, between them in the UK.

Plastic fantastic!! When I started my time in the early 70s S, we bolted together sectional boilers & were proper Heating Engineers. Now, you seriously expect me to rate these piles of plastic poo??!!

From a customer point of view what's not to like? It's a Which best buy and comes with eight years parts and labour guarantee if installed by an approved installer. The people I know who have them installed like them and they say when they have their annual service the engineers say they prefer working on them to other brands.

Also, you'll need worcesters integral diverter valve fitted as well.
It's a combi.....

OP, you will get 10yrs warranty if you fit a mag filter and the WAVE when your 29CDi is installed. Have to use a Worcester accredited installer with access to the 10 yr deal (has to be doing 50+ installs a year).

Not many sectional domestic gas boilers out there, Puller. A lot of us have worked on older, and bigger stuff, btw.

From a customer point of view what's not to like? It's a Which best buy and comes with eight years parts and labour guarantee if installed by an approved installer. The people I know who have them installed like them and they say when they have their annual service the engineers say they prefer working on them to other brands.

Guess who was on the Which selection panel, Woofter Botch Engineers & guess who paid Which to publish the surveys, yup Woofter Botch. You surely were not naive enough to think Which is impartial?
Mate, I've been in the guts of more boilers over the last 40 years than you've had hot dinners & like most Heating Engineers in the know will tell you, they're not good boilers.

Not many sectional domestic gas boilers out there, Puller. A lot of us have worked on older, and bigger stuff, btw.

Well, why then shout the praises of a box full of plastic?? C'mon they're a pile of poo!!
I fitted a decent boiler yesterday........Intergas, the 'real Heating Engineers' choice.

Guess who was on the Which selection panel, Woofter Botch Engineers & guess who paid Which to publish the surveys, yup Woofter Botch. You surely were not naive enough to think Which is impartial?
Mate, I've been in the guts of more boilers over the last 40 years than you've had hot dinners & like most Heating Engineers in the know will tell you, they're not good boilers.

So Which are fiddling their customer satisfaction surveys, have Worcester Bosch staff selecting best buys and they are taking backhanders hmmm...

So Which are fiddling their customer satisfaction surveys, have Worcester Bosch staff selecting best buys and they are taking backhanders hmmm...
You can say that, I couldn't possibly comment!!

Also, you'll need worcesters integral diverter valve fitted as well.
It's a combi.....

OP, you will get 10yrs warranty if you fit a mag filter and the WAVE when your 29CDi is installed. Have to use a Worcester accredited installer with access to the 10 yr deal (has to be doing 50+ installs a year).

Yes it is a Worcester accredited installer. I've pretty well decided to go for the wave so it will be a 10 year guarantee.
Just to correct my earlier post, I was playing with the demo app and it turns out you can set 6 different time settings not 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back