Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help identify the wires under the combi boiler.

There was once hive installed however the previous owner has taken the reciever and install a standard danfoss thermostat.

This is how it has been left.

Sponsored Links
Can't say with any certainty.

Could you separate the connectors so we can at least be sure what is connected to what?

Also pictures of the other ends of both cables.

Hi hope this helps

Attachments

• 15544077799104954089208121510289.jpg
    15544077799104954089208121510289.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Look at the agreement with your solicitor. Decide between yourselves whether it was included in the items to be left with the sale, or excluded.
If your solicitor decides it should have been left behind, you have a case with the seller, to make good or costs to reinstate it.
Otherwise, continue as you are in trying to rectify the situation.

I'm not too fussed Jason, I mean I would've taken it with me if I was in their shoes. Would just like to have hive back as very convenient for myself. Thanks anyway

As @EFLImpudence said we need to know what is on the other end of each of the wires.

Unfortunately the colour of the wire used for a particular function would have been chosen according to the personal preferences of the original installer. So, for example the black wire in one installation may have a different function to the black wire in another installation. The only way to know what a wire actually does, is to find out what it is attached to each end of it.

Ok, thanks all for your help so far. Will get some more pictures after work

Easiest way would be to remove the cover on the Danfoss thermostat and post a pic of the wiring in there we will be able to follow them from that

Grey cable goes through wall to thermostat and white one to boiler as pic shows.
IMG_20190405_180822.jpg
IMG_20190405_180822.jpg

That's only half of the story. ie one of the two cables. I assume that it's the grey twin and earth cable that goes to the thermostat and not the white flex? It's not clear in the photo, and we still don't know where the other cable goes?

Anyway from what you have posted, we can identify that the brown and black wires at the existing thermostat are the switching wires, they would have gone to the Hive (Single Channel) Receiver terminals which are marked the exactly the same as your current thermostat. So:

The brown wire now in the thermostat terminal 2 'Com' = would have gone to Hive terminal 1 'Common'

Black wire with brown sleeve now in the thermostat terminal 3 'N/O' = would have gone to Hive terminal 3 Heating on (NO)

Your existing thermostat will be battery powered, but the Hive receiver is mains operated so in addition needs a permanent 230V mains supply connected to N & L to provide it with the power to operate. I can't really comment further on that without knowledge of the other cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back