Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my current stat I'm looking to upgrade to hive, can anyone guide me to what wires go where on the hive stat. Atm I have 1, 3 core and earth going from the mains split across L N and heating on, there's another wire that goes off from the stat that is jut L and N this appears to go via a old style timer where you switch on or off heating every 15 min per little peg

I have tried moving the 2 live wires to the live on hive, and same with the 2 neutral, and the 3rd wire from the mains go to 3 which is 'heating on'

Any ideas please?

Attachments

• 20170103_153409.jpg
    20170103_153409.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 20170103_153647.jpg
    20170103_153647.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 392
Sponsored Links
You don't mention hot water control, so I assume that you have a combi boiler that produces your hot water directly without a hot water cylinder, and so will be using a single channel Hive without hot water control. If this is wrong post back.

The existing thermostat wiring is identified for you in the lid.

L=1
N=2
3= Heating on (NO, Normally open)

If you look at the Hive wiring diagram (single channel version for heating control only) you will see corresponding terminals, so the wires will be a straight transfer from one to the other as follows:

L=Permanent Live*
N=Permanent Neutral
3= Heating on (NO, Normally open)

You then will have to also link the L to the 'Common' terminal 1.

*You don't have a permanent live as it will now be switched by the timeswitch, so you will have to remove the timeswitch from the circuit and bypass the wiring, or leave it set to be permanently 'on'.

Last edited:
Yeah the boiler does the water too so I'v not got the hot water version of hive, just the combination boiler

I can't work out how to get the time controller off, I can just see there's a twin core that goes from the old L and N on the old thermostat

Sponsored Links
Iv seen 1 set up that links L to common is this what I am missing, when I moved all wires to hive in the exact same. Way, then thermostat and receiver were live, it just never fired the signal to the boiler to ignite

Attachments

• 14840382174631157849048.jpg
    14840382174631157849048.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 330
Yes, refer to my original post again, I might have added that bit after you read it.

Ah yes thank you I'll get it linked over from live to common and give that a whirl.

Regarding the existing timeswitch, the easiest way would be to set the little pegs so that it is on 24/7

Hey guys,

i am having the same issues with wiring and could do with some advice if possible please.
please see attached picture of current thermostat and wiring positions. Can anyone confirm the new positions i will need to transfer the wires too on the Hive 2 terminal strip?

is a combi boiler, hot water to always be on. Heating to be controlled by the thermostat.

IMG_0560 (1).jpg
IMG_0553.jpg

Hello Redsomerset and welcome to the forum

Yes you are correct, 1 and 3 as per the Hive instructions for the single channel version. 'Common' and 'Heating on'

abc.png

For future reference and to avoid confusion, it's best to post your own question and not tag on to someone else's it's known as hijacking and is against the forum rules. Don't do it now though or you will end up with two threads running, which is also against forum rules as it causes confusion.

Stem

Thank you. Looks like i have broken two rules already so not a great start to my posting!! apologise for that and thank you for letting me know!!!! didn't mean to break any rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back