Hmm, something wrong here !

Ah, good point. For indicator versions, the indicator is in the switch rocker - so the wiring wise fuse first would probably be correct.

Sponsored Links
Even mk switched fused spurs appear to have the fuse before the switch
Interesting and (to me) rather surprising - I must have a look at one!
Indicators i assume are generaly wired across the double pole switch output and i I have yet to see any with indicators still lit with a missing or blown fuse
I'm not sure that is necessarily a safe/reasonable assumption. If the switch did precede the fuse, they could wire the indicator to the downstream end of the fuse. I guess it depends upon what they intend the indicator should indicate (and what the switch should switch). Again, I'll have a look at some when I get a chance.

Kind Regards, John

Even mk switched fused spurs appear to have the fuse before the switch
I've now had a quick look on my shelves. I can't find an MK one, but all the switched FCUs I can find which consist of a single moulded unit (Crabtree, Volex, 'MB' and some of uncertain make!) fairly clearly have the switch before the fuse.
Indicators i assume are generaly wired across the double pole switch output ....
Seemingly not in the (uncertain make!) ones I've just examined.

Closest to the OP, I've also found a generic Varilight 'Fitting Instructions' sheet. Under "Fuse holder used with double pole switch" it indicates that one should wire with the switch before the fuse - i.e. not with the link as pre-wired in the OP case.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure that is necessarily a safe/reasonable assumption. If the switch did precede the fuse, they could wire the indicator to the downstream end of the fuse.
That would indeed be the case for the usual "one piece" FCUs. In the case of these "grid" versions, it would be impossible without adding at least one extra terminal to the switch to feed the indicator. I'd assume the indicator will be interal to the switch and wired directly across it's output terminals - so for these, the fuse would need to precede the switch for the indicator to work sensibly (ie indicate "output live").

Sponsored Links
That would indeed be the case for the usual "one piece" FCUs. In the case of these "grid" versions, it would be impossible without adding at least one extra terminal to the switch to feed the indicator. I'd assume the indicator will be interal to the switch and wired directly across it's output terminals - so for these, the fuse would need to precede the switch for the indicator to work sensibly (ie indicate "output live").
That's all clearly true if one 'fabricates' a switched FCU using (literally or effectively) 'standalone' switch/indicator and fuse carrier grid/modular modules. I would suggest that if one really wanted to fully emulate a 'one piece' switched FCU+indicator withh such modules, one really would have to use three modules - the third one being an indicator (I've done that in my time).

Kind Regards, John

And another point - what about unswitched fused spurs?
That's the beauty of one of these:

You can use it unswitched if you want..

What's scary though is that you just know that at some time in the next 20-odd years life of that accessory, some of them are going to lose those links and end up being wired as unfused switches.....

What's scary though is that you just know that at some time in the next 20-odd years life of that accessory, some of them are going to lose those links and end up being wired as unfused switches.....
True - and if your talking 'scary', a sufficiently accomplished idiot could, of course, wire one of these 'two-part' switched FCUs with the fuse in the neutral (either before or after the switch)!

Kind Regards, John

True - and if your talking 'scary', a sufficiently accomplished idiot could, of course, wire one of these 'two-part' switched FCUs with the fuse in the neutral (either before or after the switch)!
But that applies (almost) just as equally to a standard "one piece" FCU - nothing to stop someone swapping L & N on the input and as far as testing goes "it works doesn't it ?"

Interestingly, my mate brought in another unit and I've had a look at the destructions - not that they are very detailed !

They do indeed show "FUSE HOLDER USED WITH DOUBLE POLE SWITCH" wired with the fuse holder after the switch - ie different to how they supply the FCU pre-wired.
The diagram is the same as in this sheet - though the sheet itself is different.

But that applies (almost) just as equally to a standard "one piece" FCU - nothing to stop someone swapping L & N on the input and as far as testing goes "it works doesn't it ?"
Yes, that's true. I was thinking that the aforementioned idiot may be more likely to get 'internal wiring' wrong than simply reversing the L&N feeds - but I suppose that may be a rash assumption!

Kind Regards, John

Interestingly, my mate brought in another unit and I've had a look at the destructions - not that they are very detailed ! They do indeed show "FUSE HOLDER USED WITH DOUBLE POLE SWITCH" wired with the fuse holder after the switch - ie different to how they supply the FCU pre-wired. The diagram is the same as in this sheet - though the sheet itself is different.
In summary (so far), then, all the 'one piece' FCUs I found on my shelf (including a couple with indicators) had the switcg before the fuse, and the instructions that you and I have found indicate switch before fuse for 'two piece' ones. Hence, apart from your one with the pre-installed link, we haven't yet heard of any which have the fuse first - apart from a (so far unconfirmed) statement that MK ones do that. Has anyone got (or seen) any switched FCUs (or associated instructions) with fuse before switch?

Kind Regards, John

well it was only an assumption based on the fact the neon is now in the head of the switch, rather than remote but i stand to be corrected

I have opened a mk logic fcu without a neon although unlike the logic plus range these had remote indicators.

And you know what the switch is before the fuse and the load output terminal connects to said fuse

OK, response from the manufacturer is pretty much as guessed - it's to do with illuminated switches.
The fuse is placed before the switch on all of our fused switches. The reason being, if the fuse blows on any switch with a neon indicator this will extinguish in this set up. If the fuse is after the switch it will still illuminate causing confusion.

There isn't any problem wiring the switch in your configuration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back