HMRC scam, be careful

Sponsored Links
All relevant information will be available on the HMRC web site.
They will never phone you to tell you that you are being investigated because that would defeat the object of their investigation by warning you.
Finally, they will never phone and ay if you don't press such and such a number you will be arrested!
If you get a person voiced call simply ask them for their name and department and tell them you will call them back. They won't give you them if they are scammers, (or they may and insist you have to call the following number xxxxx xxx xxx yeah right!).
If in any doubt hang up the phone, find the genuine number from a tax bill, Google, phone book etc and call them direct. 99.9% certain they will tell you it is a cammer trying to get information.

I can't be bothered to do any checking up on their claims, beyond stringing them along, or telling them to fook themselves:mrgreen:

If the feds want me, they'll find me. Not via some Lackwit with a clearly pony tale over the dog(y)

had 2 calls from some one from net flix saying that they have taken money out of the account by mistake and need to reimburse me

i dont have net flix :confused:

another to re insure my boiler :confused:

Loads of Scammer calls reputing to be Amazon, £ 600 taken from my account NO
A company keeps on calling about my utilities and services Insurance [that I do not have] can be reduced in cost to me.
One that has fades is the "dreaded" call Microsoft to tell me my computer has been hacked and I am at risk.

I have to laugh at the offers from Asda / Tesco, Et-All offering $$$$$ off whatever??? yes $$$ not £££??? spot the scam if you can see it?
Loads of bitcoin scams.
This week a scam about me getting a Council Tax refund of [guess what] $$$ ? i ask you
I get generally one or two HMRC scam mails per month, generally offering [about] £ 630 refund
CBD oils by the gallon at a cost??

The list just goes on and on

What really annoys me is that despite logging the phone scams on the UK "WHO CALLED ME" web site where several reports i have logged nothing is done to take down / block such scam attempts, vigorously and constantly,then a load of very worried people can sleep easier

Sponsored Links
Loads of Scammer calls reputing to be Amazon, £ 600 taken from my account NO
A company keeps on calling about my utilities and services Insurance [that I do not have] can be reduced in cost to me.
One that has fades is the "dreaded" call Microsoft to tell me my computer has been hacked and I am at risk.

I have to laugh at the offers from Asda / Tesco, Et-All offering $$$$$ off whatever??? yes $$$ not £££??? spot the scam if you can see it?
Loads of bitcoin scams.
This week a scam about me getting a Council Tax refund of [guess what] $$$ ? i ask you
I get generally one or two HMRC scam mails per month, generally offering [about] £ 630 refund
CBD oils by the gallon at a cost??

The list just goes on and on

What really annoys me is that despite logging the phone scams on the UK "WHO CALLED ME" web site where several reports i have logged nothing is done to take down / block such scam attempts, vigorously and constantly,then a load of very worried people can sleep easier
Once you're on a mugs list then your number gets sold on ad-infinitum. :(

The spam call blocker thing works well, but it only covers UK based callers and so misses a lot, and some of the spam callers are probably just running ahead of the numbers being shut down.

"One idea being floated......". Where is that being floated? It’s ALWAYS been the case that if you designate one room or a part of your home solely for work use and claim costs for that, you will be liable for CGT when you sell. As long as the room is also used for something else (home gym, home cinema room, bedroom etc) there’s no problem.
I'm simply passing on the info as is, and that many people may not know of the consequences of having a designated office and making certain claims.
HMRC is scrambling around to try and find ways of offsetting the massive covid bill.
Them getting around the 'Private Residence Relief' is one of those that the uninformed may fall foul of!
And raising CGT rates is also being looked at.

I'm simply passing on the info as is.....

Why stop there? Why not inform those in the motoring section that the national speed limit is 60mph or those in the heating forum that they must be Gas registered before they install a boiler? Perhaps people would also like to be informed that the Pope is Catholic and that bears **** in the woods?

Last edited:
Why stop there? Why not inform those in the motoring section that the national speed limit is 60mph or those in the heating forum that they must be Gas registered before they install a boiler? Perhaps people would also like to be informed that the Pope is Catholic and that bears **** in the woods?
And mottie shows it's pathetic disdain yet again :rolleyes:

It's going to be quite amusing watching him squirm when HMRC comes a calling (y)

All us business owners and self employed on this site just don’t appreciate the sound business advice we get from Ellal, a true captain of industry. What would we do without him? :rolleyes:

The spam call blocker thing works well, but it only covers UK based callers and so misses a lot, and some of the spam callers are probably just running ahead of the numbers being shut down.

BT's free "Call Protect" can block foreign numbers of your choice, or on their blacklist, and can even block specific "number withheld" calls because it knows (but doesn't display) the caller's number

Their website is very cumbersome, but if you have registered for online access, it will probably be inside "your security" or "products - landline"
https://my.bt.com/s/apps/appsmybt/#/callprotect

You might be able to get on it by phoning. Try 1572.

Logging a number on "who called me" does not cause it to be blocked

quite apt i think . most of the clowns on here deserve to be on a mugs list:LOL:

I'm simply passing on the info as is, and that many people may not know of the consequences of having a designated office and making certain claims.
HMRC is scrambling around to try and find ways of offsetting the massive covid bill.
Them getting around the 'Private Residence Relief' is one of those that the uninformed may fall foul of!
And raising CGT rates is also being looked at.

That's not the job of the civil servants at HMRC.

It's the job of the government, and specifically the Chancellor of the Exchequeur.

Special interest groups are already lobbying him not to tax the rich.

Sponsored Links
Back