HMRC scam, be careful

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to warn others...
I received a call from 01332526670 and an automated message said that I had been investigated for fraud by HMRC and if I didn't press 1 I would be arrested.
Googling the number doesn't give any relevant result, so it must be a new one.
Some people might fall for it, so spread the word.

Sponsored Links
I know, but this one could be intimidating for someone as it mentioned being investigated for fraud and being arrested.

Sponsored Links
If you are on BT you can turn on their free call blocker "1572" "Call Protect"

Beware of HMRC itself...

With all these people now working from home, be careful with what you claim for...

Because one idea currently being floated is to raise capital gains tax based on a percentage of a home being sold that has a home office!

So don't be tempted to claim a percentage of basics like energy costs etc!

Because one idea currently being floated is to raise capital gains tax based on a percentage of a home being sold that has a home office!
"One idea being floated......". Where is that being floated? It’s ALWAYS been the case that if you designate one room or a part of your home solely for work use and claim costs for that, you will be liable for CGT when you sell. As long as the room is also used for something else (home gym, home cinema room, bedroom etc) there’s no problem.

Last edited:
Beware of HMRC itself...

With all these people now working from home, be careful with what you claim for...

So don't be tempted to claim a percentage of basics like energy costs etc!

You are funny.

All relevant information will be available on the HMRC web site.
They will never phone you to tell you that you are being investigated because that would defeat the object of their investigation by warning you.
Finally, they will never phone and ay if you don't press such and such a number you will be arrested!
If you get a person voiced call simply ask them for their name and department and tell them you will call them back. They won't give you them if they are scammers, (or they may and insist you have to call the following number xxxxx xxx xxx yeah right!).
If in any doubt hang up the phone, find the genuine number from a tax bill, Google, phone book etc and call them direct. 99.9% certain they will tell you it is a cammer trying to get information.

Sponsored Links
Back