Hob causing new fuse board to trip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, hope you can help out. I have recently purchased a rental property and needed a new fuse board to meet current regulations for renting. The flat came with a built in oven, and a separate hob on top. Since the new fuse board was installed, the oven and hob started tripping the power as soon as you turn either of them on. I pulled out the oven and found that both the oven and hob go into the same junction box. So I first disconnected the hob from the junction box, turned the oven on and it turned on fine and stayed on. Then I disconnected the oven, connected the hob, and when I turned the hob on it tripped the power again as it did before. So the problem is with the hob, but that's as far as my electrical knowledge goes. Does it sound like I just need a new hob? I should mention that they both worked fine before the new fuse board. I'm assuming the hob is perhaps too "unsafe" for the new fuse board?

Thanks for reading, Steve.

Sponsored Links
You're new board no doubt has RCDs which detect more than what you had before - neutral to earth faults.
A good idea when the fault flows through people.

It could be just one of the elements.
You could find which one with test instruments you are unlikely to have.

Get the electrician to come back.
He may not be expected to have noticed such a fault.

What size is the breaker thats tripping?

Is it an induction hob?

I would be asking the electrician who installed the new board to comment.

Unless this hob is relatively new and a fairly expensive type, just buy a new one.
Attempting to locate a fault on it, dismantling and fitting new part(s) will most likely cost more than a new hob. Plus if one element has failed, the others are likely to do the same.

Sponsored Links
What is written on the device which is tripping? Does the device have a test button?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back