Hob circuit tripping

se1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hob fuse began tripping , one of the rings lost power and now the hob seems to be broken all together. This all happened immediately after I had installed a light fitting, converting a loop rose system with choc blocks. The lights work fine and I can't see how the two are related as they are seperate circuits. My guess is that the hob just started malfunctioning around the same time. Hopefully just a coincidence. Should I just purchase and replace hob or do you feel it is necessary to get an electrician in to take a look.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
whats the reating of the MCB?
what size cable is it wired in?
how long is the cable?
whats the power rating of the cooker?
is there a socket on the cooker switch? what do you plug into it?

whats the reating of the MCB? 32A
what size cable is it wired in? Please excuse my ignorance but is a bigger cable than used for sockets.
how long is the cable? 7-10m
whats the power rating of the cooker? Unfortunately I do not know the power rating of the hob. the circuit is only used for the hob. There is a switch that is only used for the hob.
is there a socket on the cooker switch? what do you plug into it? No socket on the hob switch.

se1 said:
whats the reating of the MCB? 32A
what size cable is it wired in? Please excuse my ignorance but is a bigger cable than used for sockets.
how long is the cable? 7-10m
whats the power rating of the cooker? Unfortunately I do not know the power rating of the hob. the circuit is only used for the hob. There is a switch that is only used for the hob.
is there a socket on the cooker switch? what do you plug into it? No socket on the hob switch.

answer ALL questions. until you do, we cannot advise you on anything.

the cooker power rating should be on a plate on the back of the cooker. for the cable size, youll have to look inside the CU or cooker switch

Sponsored Links
"The hob fuse began tripping"

Does this mean that you kept resetting the breaker every time it tripped?

"one of the rings lost power"

Did it always trip when you were using that ring?

If the answer to both questions is yes then I suggest that the offending ring developed an intermittent internal short, hence the tripping, and has now burnt out, so it doesn't work. If this is true then you need a new ring as a minimum. It's not obvious why the rest of the hob doesn't work but one explanation is that the breaker has also burnt out.

Intermittent electrical faults rarely go away by themselves. They are more likely to get worse over time until you can't ignore them any longer.

You're right about the lights; they have nothing to do with it.

Tks for Feedback Felix.

The hob made a popping noise and the mcb tripped. I then reset and the hob was working ok apart from reduced power on one ring. A day or so later the hob popped again and the faulty ring did not work at all. However I cannot use any of the rings as if thehob is switched on at all the hob will pop again even if the faulty ring is not actually on.

I shall replace with a new hob. Looks simple ennough to do this. Do I have to be careful regarding the power of hob I choose?

as you have a 32A breaker then you can have upto a 7kw hob (more if you want to believe the diversity rules for cookers make sense), but make sure the cable is at least 6mm as opposed to 4mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back