Hob condemned tonight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past few days, I thought I smelled gas in the kitchen but wasn't sure - but tonight I was so phoned out Transco. Turns out the hob had a gas escape and the guy isolated it and condemned it basically.

The kitchen (and hob) only got done in August last year and according to the Transco guy, whoever installed it should be ashamed. The main gas pipe runs up the back of the unit behind the rear panel. They had then cut a hole in the back of the unit and run 8mm copper pipe from the main gas pipe to the hob, but bringing the 8mm pipe inside the cupboard instead of running it up the back of the unit and then fitting it to an elbow (words of the gas man). It was also pushed hard against the edge of the hole that was cut out. He also said that it should be 15mm pipe used instead of 8mm and that the way it's been fitted looks like it was done as a quick way of fitting it instead of the "right" way. The isolator lever was totally inaccessible - it was behind the back panel of the unit with absolutely no access to actually use it! I had to hack lumps out of the back of the unit so that the hob could be isolated on its own instead of my entire gas supply being shut off (not a pleasant thought at this time of year).

After 16 months, would it be appropriate to contact the company that fitted it to get them to rectify it or has too much time gone by?

I desperately need it fixed cos it's me that's on Christmas dinner cooking this year - and you can only microwave so much!!!!

Sponsored Links
Always worth a phone call or a visit- if you don't ask, you don't get. Advise them that you will be calling gassafe to make a complaint.

I sometimes use a short length of 10 mm to feed a hob.

8 mm is a little small though.

I am surprised with christmas this week the Transco muppet did not bother to see what was actually leaking and fixing it rather than just criticising how it had been done.

As you are not going to have it in use for christmas you might as well call someone to sort it out for you unless you are going away.

You could first try calling the installers and saying unless they come and fix it properly then you will be photographing it and reporting them to Gas safe ( were CORGI ).

It may have been done 16 months ago but its still just as dangerous and badly done as the day they left.

I presume they were actually CORGI registered ???

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile Wrote

I am surprised with christmas this week the Transco muppet did not bother to see what was actually leaking and fixing it rather than just criticising how it had been done.

Transco Is Not A Free Repair Service, The Job Is To Make Safe I Would Have Cut The Whole Supply.

Allison give the installers a bell and talk it over with them. I have in the past managed to get installers to come back many months later to correct defects/ installation misfits.

Hob should have had a valve fitted to isolate the gas supply to the hob. Thus, you would not have had to destroy the base unit to access the gas pipe.

Thanks for the advice. I phoned the installer and he got the gas fitters out - three gas men!!!! :D :D They've replaced the compression coupling thingies on the end where it connects to the hob though they didn't replace the pipe and it still runs in a strange way - but I've got my hob working again - so I'm cooking on gas. Christmas day is saved!

I really didn't think that the installer would take anything to do with it after such a long time.

Oh, and there was a lever to isolate it - it was just totally inaccessible because it was behind the back panel - hence the reason I had to annihilate the panel with the jigsaw! Huge hole in the back panel now but at least the isolation lever is accessible now.

Hope you all have a good Christmas.

Transco Is Not A Free Repair Service, The Job Is To Make Safe I Would Have Cut The Whole Supply.

Whilst you may have no sympathy for consumers, we are told that TNG staff are expected to repair the leak if that can be done within a 30 minute visit!

Tony

Whilst you may have no sympathy for consumers, we are told that TNG staff are expected to repair the leak if that can be done within a 30 minute visit!

Tony
Especially if it was just a bit of PTFE or a re-sweat of a joint FFS

I sometimes use a short length of 10 mm to feed a hob.

8 mm is a little small though.

As you are not going to have it in use for christmas you might as well call someone to sort it out for you unless you are going away.

You could first try calling the installers and saying unless they come and fix it properly then you will be photographing it and reporting them to Gas safe ( were CORGI ).

It may have been done 16 months ago but its still just as dangerous and badly done as the day they left.

I presume they were actually CORGI registered ???

Tony

8mm over 3 meters will be enough for between 7-8KW,more than ample for a standad 4 ring hob.

Agile Wrote

Tony

Dont Know Who Told You That Becouse They Dont Fix Anything Unless Theys Been A New Service Fiitted And Theyve Had To Move The Meter

dextrous Wrote

Especially if it was just a bit of PTFE or a re-sweat of a joint FFS

Still Wont Do It Call Rgi Transco National Grid Emergency Service Not Repair Customers Pipework Service F.F.S

Hi
I think Transco guy did the right thing, Make safe,
The fault is with the installer who needs to be contacted to make the installation correct in 15mm copper with a isolation valve accessable, if he cant be contacted or is no help report him to gas safe

Pro by name not by nature.

Why must it be in 15mm.

8mm over 3 meters will be enough for between 7-8KW,more than ample for a standad 4 ring hob.

Are you sure? Have you tried it? Next time you fit a fire try it. I fitted a fire using 3m of 8mm pipe. Pressure drop well exceeded 1mb

By the way, a hob is around 12kW. More if it is 5 ring jobby

8mm could easily be damaged but if working pressure is ok can be used
But i would put 15mm in as it is more rigid and putting in a 8mm gas cock would cut the flow down more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back