Hob / Oven cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have a question regarding an electric hob installed into a worktop and separate single oven underneath it.

Basically I have noticed (by chance) there is an electrical supply cable coming from the underside of the hob as there is a small gap (a few mm) between to two appliance.
The hob and the oven have separate supply cables BTW.

I assume this is normal as that’s where the terminal block must be. :?:My question is, doesn’t the oven get hot on the top or back where this cable runs?? Is this type of cable heat shielded maybe?

BTW this was installed into the house when we got it as a new build (not by me!) so I assume it’s fine, but unfortunately paranoia has got the better of me and I needed to ask!

Thanks for reassuring an old fool!:unsure:

Sponsored Links
there is an electrical supply cable coming from the underside of the hob as there is a small gap (a few mm) between to two appliance.
The hob and the oven have separate supply cables BTW.

I assume this is normal as that’s where the terminal block must be. :?:
Nobody here can tell where there are, or are not, any terminal blocks, other than to say that both the hob and the oven will have one.

There are various ways in which an oven and a hob can be supplied. But that's irrelevant to....

My question is, doesn’t the oven get hot on the top or back where this cable runs?? Is this type of cable heat shielded maybe?
The oven will get hot on the outside - probably not too hot to actually damage a cable on its own, but possibly enough to reduce the maximum current it should carry.

Do you have any instructions for the oven which specify any cable type?

With a built in oven while powered the cooling fans in the main keep it cool, it only get hot if some one switches the power off at the wall isolator, however where the cooling air is directed does matter, you don't want the hob fans drawing their cooling air from near the outlet of the ovens cooling air, which means the carcase oven and hob need to match, when I looked into the idea of hob over oven this was the major problem getting three units which the manufacturer said could be used together. Added to that was if bought as a stand alone unit the oven has a 32 amp supply, so can run two elements together rather than time share, so the ovens in a stand alone cooker are in the main better than a built in oven, unless going for something rather special like steam. Eye level ovens are great and it is worth losing some features to get the oven eye level, also with built in ovens you can mix fuels, in the main an electric oven with gas hob, however the modern induction hob needs cooling fans and unless produced as a matched trio carcase, oven and hob, although they may work together OK, you don't know they will work together, so most hob manufacturers tend to advise they should only be used above their built in oven in their carcase as once you mix manufacturers you don't know if OK or not.

I am reasonably sure as long as common sense is used when they are fitted so cooling air is not drawn from the other units exhaust, and no silly twit turns off the power so stopping cooling fans, it will be OK. But one can never be 100% sure with out reading the manufacturers instructions on all three items. Mother built in oven is eye level, and has a cupboard above. The cupboard never get hot so one would assume with that make and model of oven and carcass there would be no problem with a hob above it. However many induction hobs do say do not fit above an oven, not the cable but the electronics you don't want to get hot.

I really can't understand why one would want to fit a built in oven any where other than eye level? If located under the hob may as well have a stand alone cooker and gain the extra features.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the replies and advice.
I’m not concerned particularly about the cable specification, more just generally enquiring if this is considered a ‘normal’ type of setup.
I guess I never actually considered that there was a cable there (as I said ‘an old fool’!). There is nowhere else it could be I suppose!

The hob isn’t induction BTW.

anyway, thanks so much for your replies.

They have an oven at eye-level with a hob above it?:eek:
Err, No. They have a built-in oven which is not at eye-level, under the hob, hence do not "remove 60cm of worktop space", as suggested by BAS.

Kind Regards, John

It removes 60cm of your worktop space - in a small kitchen that can be an issue.
Not if it's under the hob - which seems to be a fairly common arrangement (well, three members of my family have such a layout).
I think you need to go to Specsavers, John..

I really can't understand why one would want to fit a built in oven any where other than eye level?
It removes 60cm of your worktop space - in a small kitchen that can be an issue.

;)

I think you need to go to Specsavers, John.. ;)
I'm lost. A oven installed under a hob (so clearly 'other than eye level') surely does not "remove 60cm of your worktop space"?

On the other hand, if one installs it at eye level then it does "remove 60cm of your worktop space", which I thought was the point you were making.

Is there a communication problem/misunderstanding here?

Kind Regards, John

upload_2017-9-30_21-55-40.png

I assumed that BAS meant that some people might want to install a oven 'other than at eye level' because if they did install it at eye level it would "remove 60cm of workstop space".
Yes, more or less.

Eric said he couldn't understand why one would want to fit a built in oven any where other than eye level?
Bas replied - [because] it removes 60cm of your worktop space.

Did you interpret it as having some different meaning?
I don't think so.

Yes, more or less. ... Eric said he couldn't understand why one would want to fit a built in oven any where other than eye level? ... Bas replied - [because] it removes 60cm of your worktop space.
Ah, having now re-read it ten more times, I now see my mistake :oops:

Strangely. although (as I subsequently demonstrated), I understood what BAS meant, I think my brain must have focussed on what he "actually wrote" which, in the absence of any qualification, seems to say that the reason why someone would want to to install the oven "other than at eye level" is because that would result in "removal of 60cm of your worktop space" (which is the opposite of the truth). Strange the way minds work, and I haven't even opened a bottle yet :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back